Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-25-2014, 10:38 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
89 Prostar190 Speedometer Replacement

Hey guys, first post on here. I have an 89 Prostar 190 and the previous owner took out one of the speedometers and rigged in a depth finder in place of it. I'd like to get rid of the depth gauge, as 95% of the time it doesn't work anyways. I realize going back with factory to match the original one still in the boat would be slim to no chance. I started looking around and found a GPS based speedometer made by "Faria" that sounds like it completely gets rid of the petot system and runs solely on GPS. Has anybody done this swap or know more about it? It is not a Perfect Pass or Zero Off system, just GPS speedometer.

My main question is, what kind of electrical connection will the speedometer need? I haven't looked at my factory speedometer but I would be surprised if there is anything electrical going to it other than a back light, as it is an analog gauge. Will the new gauge need to be wired to the battery?

Just thought I'd test the waters on here before I pulled the plug and dropped $400 on two speedometers. Any help or insight is much appreciated!

Brit
Old 06-25-2014, 10:39 PM
TT Newbie

Oh and here is the url to the speedometer I am talking about

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5103608
Old 06-26-2014, 07:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
You may want to consider spending the extra money and putting a Perfect Pass in instead of 2 speedos. It'll cost more but at least you'd be adding a ton of function while getting an accurate speedo and speed control system. You'll also add value to your boat.

As to your question you'll need to add a 12 volt circuit to the gauge you're looking at to power the GPS.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:03 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Tigé, 2150, 1997, Merc EFI
89 Prostar190 Speedometer Replacement

I had one of my original Airguide speedos converted into GPS. It's cool because it maintains the original look with modern function. Your situation is different since you only have one. The company, that did the conversation is called Nautic Laugic.
http://nauticlaugic.com/airglide.html

Last edited by TeamAllen; 06-26-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:10 AM
TT Newbie

Hi, I asked the same question earlier this year and this product was recommended. I bought one and installed it (gives complete instructions) and it seems to be great. I have yet to try the accuracy or the speed of it gathering gps information but in research it was highly recommended. Midwest mastercraft is a great company to deal with as well.
Below is the link, it's a bit pricey but it's nice that it doesn't require the pitot style.

http://www.wakeboards.com/Boat-GPS-S...peedometer.htm
Old 06-26-2014, 09:17 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by brithunsicker View Post
Hey guys, first post on here. I have an 89 Prostar 190 and the previous owner took out one of the speedometers and rigged in a depth finder in place of it. I'd like to get rid of the depth gauge, as 95% of the time it doesn't work anyways. I realize going back with factory to match the original one still in the boat would be slim to no chance. I started looking around and found a GPS based speedometer made by "Faria" that sounds like it completely gets rid of the petot system and runs solely on GPS. Has anybody done this swap or know more about it? It is not a Perfect Pass or Zero Off system, just GPS speedometer.

My main question is, what kind of electrical connection will the speedometer need? I haven't looked at my factory speedometer but I would be surprised if there is anything electrical going to it other than a back light, as it is an analog gauge. Will the new gauge need to be wired to the battery?

Just thought I'd test the waters on here before I pulled the plug and dropped $400 on two speedometers. Any help or insight is much appreciated!

Brit
I pulled both my speedometer heads and replaced with Livorsi GPS units. Mine are very accurate. I do have 2 operational original pitot MC heads in the garage

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 06-26-2014, 10:04 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Tigé, 2150, 1997, Merc EFI
Livorsi makes a nice product. Make sure you look at the ski version.
http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/gps_ski.html
Old 07-07-2014, 08:31 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar
To sort of answer your question about the electrical connections, for the GPS you likely need either 2 or 3 wires connecting to it, +12v ignition run, ground, and +12v backlight (if it has backlights).

These don't need to and probably shouldn't need to come all the way from the battery, there are connection posts on the back of the ignition you can take power off of. The 12+ should come from the ingition in the on/run position, otherwise the GPS will be running constantly. it's also easier and cleaner to run from the ignition. I just did this last week for a stereo install on my '89, but I can't remember which one exactly is the ignition run vs accessory run. it's a quick job with a multi meter to find out though. Do make sure you disconnect the battery first, if you accidentaly short across the terminals on the back of the ignition you'll hotwire the boat. (speaking from experience here...)