Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-05-2014, 10:23 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-10
Fuel gauge

New to boating. Have a 2003 X-10 with 185 hours. Filled fuel up and used boat for 3 days in a row. Fuel gauge hasn't moved past FULL. I look in tank its its half full.

Can someone let me know how to trouble shoot whats wrong with gauge or other?

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2014, 10:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Unfortunately the whole system from sender to MDC (The "middle man" computer) to the gauge is crap and each component is quite failure prone.

Test the sender first:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ghlight=sender

Hopefully that's the problem as it's the easiest fix. If it's bad I'd replace it with an aftermarket mechanical 2 wire sender such as the Wema SSS. The OE Centroid solid state senders are crap. The Wema SSS was recommended by another forum member and is about $35 depending on what length you need. I swapped one in on mine and it's been working fine thus far. Be sure to trim your screws or buy shorter stainless ones if you do go with the Wema as it's much lower profile than the Centroid sender. If you use the original screws they will blow through the plastic dimple/pockets in the tank and you'll be more prone to leak around the sender when the tank is full. Just cut off the connector on the OE/Centroid sender and splice it to the new one leaving the red wire unused. I removed it from the connector entirely. It must be insulated so that it doesn't contact ground and create a spark.

If the sender checks out then it's either the gauge or your MDC. You can go through the MDC troubleshooting guide but I found it to be a waste of time and got inconclusive results.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
BTW I made the Wema sender swap sound more complicated than it is. It's a 10 minute job but I just wanted to make you aware of the need to insulate or remove the red wire and the screw length issue. It's very simple. The bolt pattern for the senders is pretty well standardized in the marine industry but it is "directional" for lack of a better term. You have to keep rotating the sender until you find the spot where all of the holes line up. They're intentionally not symmetrical so if you just drop it in and start putting your screws in the last one will likely not line up. Rotate it until all holes line up perfectly and then start putting your screws in.

If your boat is like most of this vintage this will be your first of many gauge failures. They notoriously suck so bad that this is the route I went:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=61353
Old 07-06-2014, 04:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
^^^^ What he said^^^^ Medallion makes junk. Can't believe tier one vendors still use this junk. All the tier one vendors are having the same problems. They somehow managed to sell this same garbage to all of them. They basically took an inexpensive, accurate and reliable system and made it inaccurate, prone to failure and expensive to fix. This will only get worse as the touch screen versions start to age.

Tags
electrical, fuel, fuel gauge