Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 06-26-2014, 12:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X2 ss, 2013, ilmor 5.7 OPS, pro package, etc.
Cleaning your vinyl

What are you guys using to clean up you vinyl and keep it looking like new? I love my new boat, but the yellow (its in base 2 and base 3 locations) in the yellow in platinum interior is proving a pain to keep clean. The rough texture seems to hold onto the dirt.

Apparently, I have a totally different sense of humor. -- Andrew Eldritch
Old 06-26-2014, 12:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
303 Aerospace Protectant. Stuff works great, spendy though
Old 06-26-2014, 12:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-30
I use quick n brite http://www.quicknbrite.com/ with a soft bristle brush to deep clean. In between I use babes seat soap http://www.babesboats.com/

-some guy I should have listened to a long time ago.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
la awesome diluted 50/50, then wash off, then 303. Use babes seat soap on everything while wiping down the boat
Old 06-26-2014, 01:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
Here is what I do...and while I've only had the boat for going on 3 yrs now... the vinyl looks basically new and is super soft/supple.

I ONLY use Totally Awesome on small stubborn stains because that stuff will in fact dry out your vinyl.

I always use Babes - it works great (and smells great too) - buy it by the gallon. I spray on and scrub with a firm nylon bristled brush. My boat has visible stitching that can yellow from dirt... I used a tooth brush and Babes to bring it back to white (it's important to never use a harsh cleaning product on stitching - ESPECIALLY NO BLEACH).

I then follow up all that hard work with 303 protectant (by it by the gallon).

Now that I have it clean I find that following up with a spray bottle and wipe down with a cloth (a few spots here and there with a tooth brush) is all that is needed to keep it that way.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:35 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
I ONLY use Totally Awesome on small stubborn stains because that stuff will in fact dry out your vinyl.
I think drying issues can be attributed to the fact that it needs to be diluted and then folks just let it sit on the vinyl. Regardless of the cleaner if you don't get it off its going to dry the vinyl. I always wash off the vinyl thoroughly after using it and have never had an issue. Magic eraser on the other hand will really damage your vinyl.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft X45 2008 LY6
babes then 303 works pretty well
Old 06-26-2014, 04:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X-45
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...tectant-16-oz/

I've been using this meguiars natural shine protectant. It is not the strongest cleaner I have used, but great for daily wipe-downs. Removes almost all stains/dirt and gives the interior a natural look and provide UV protection. I pick it up at my local autoparts store or Walmart for under $5 a bottle. I used to use 303 (and still do occassionally), but it got too expensive for daily wipe downs.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccelia View Post
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...tectant-16-oz/

I've been using this meguiars natural shine protectant. It is not the strongest cleaner I have used, but great for daily wipe-downs. Removes almost all stains/dirt and gives the interior a natural look and provide UV protection. I pick it up at my local autoparts store or Walmart for under $5 a bottle. I used to use 303 (and still do occassionally), but it got too expensive for daily wipe downs.
I use this also, I cleaned the interior with 50/50 Totally Awesome/water then wipe down with the Meguiars at the end of each weekend with a terrycloth washcloth. It does clean a bit, but most of all protects without being too slippery or too shiny.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
I use water and a micro fiber towel. If it's a stain I use a mild cleaner I get from a detailed but then apply 303 aerospace protectant after. You want the final to stay soft. If it hardens there is no reversal, it's permanent.