Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 06-18-2014, 09:16 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Towed my Formula 303 (30 footer) with my 2001 Yukon (not XL) from NJ to NH once.

After that I bought a 3/4 ton Suburban.......that Yukon was a handful with the 303!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Towed my Formula 303 (30 footer) with my 2001 Yukon (not XL) from NJ to NH once.

After that I bought a 3/4 ton Suburban.......that Yukon was a handful with the 303!
'

I just bought my wife an '15 XL with 3.42, hoping it will tow like a dream compared to my 05 silverado with 3.42. - have yet to tow with it...fingers crossed

( FWIW I truly bought it for her in hopes that it would fix my "Ferrari" problem AKA "sex" problem - as in I have neither ..... unlike Aric - that guy has a Ferrari and constantly pulls massive wool, curious...am I the only one that finds it odd he never posts pics of the wool he must be getting???) <-- if you have the toys you gotta prove that you are able to use them appropriately.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Hey no that was my friend with the ferrari.... haha and ive had the same girlfriend for 3.5 years, who would kill me if I posted pics of her! Haha.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
Hey no that was my friend with the ferrari.... haha and ive had the same girlfriend for 3.5 years, who would kill me if I posted pics of her! Haha.
I know - commend you for not ripping that confused poster on the very subject. you totally held your cool - good for you.

PS my buddy that I've known since I was 3 has 456 but the putz drives it like a honda .... okay okay its not exactly his... he takes care of his 80yr old fathers cars... imo in his situation it's the same diff. Weird thing is he is jealous of my ability to provide for me.. and I am jealous of his intrinsic ability to make the provisions I provide look cheap. It's an odd world.

PSS don't tell her about the pics. I promise I wont say a thing!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Ill see if I can find some pics of her laying on my sunpad of my old x15. Haha.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
22 ft deck boat isnt exactly pushing the limits of a tahoe, i tow my xstar all the time and it's fine. based on the fact that the trailer isnt under the boat, i'd blame lack of tow straps and proper tie downs.
They are actually very conscious, 50 something, trailer boaters that I have boated with for 7 years. They are out much of the summer with an 80 mile RT tow.
Two years ago, they downsized from having a 3rd vehicle (truck) to the just SUV and a car.

Transom straps were in place and did their job. (help keep the boat in contact with the trailer but will not keep the trailer attached to boat in an extreme circumstance)

Their Mariah Jubliee has an NADA base weight of 4300.
The X-star has a base weight of 4600 or 4250.
Add a tandem trailer; 1200 - Weight of either is 5500 + 50 gal of fuel + basic gear = easily 6200.
Without a weight distributing hitch the Tahoe is rated for 5,000 towing. Their case is a great example where a weight Distributing/Anti sway hitch comes into play.
It was "fine" for them for 2+ years. Moderate wind hits them at the wrong time and they go out of control.

I have scaled my 240 at 6800# going into storage with full tank but no weekend gear and before adding 3 70# batteries.
I have towed it with:
1994 Isuzu Trooper - couple miles - on the edge
1998 1500 Suburban - several thousand miles - ok but pushed around in corners and stopping. Never towed over 60mph.
2008 f150 - 1500mi road trip - more stable than suburban but working
2009 1500 Silverado Excab SB - 300 miles - decent but pushed in corners
2008 3500 GMC SA CC LB - 15,000mi - no comparison on straight line control, corners or braking.
I still toy with adding Electric over Hydraulic. A heavier, longer tow vehicle better masks the issue of surge brakes not working until momentum has shifted but does not solve the problem.

SUV has short wheel base and lighter springs that make them great for what they are intended to do but not strong weight carrying platforms.

I am glad OP made the choice he did, especially considering the extra weight and family load.
He now realizes the difference between "fine" and in Control.