Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2014, 03:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
My understanding is that Maristar, Prostar, X-Star, X2 & X1 all from the 205 hull. As Mzimme said its all the trim packages that vary. My prostar came with tower, speakers, and center ballast. I plumbed in 2 ballast pumps with switches and made it look as close to factory as I could. pretty happy with the results and basically have an X-Star now.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Wow.. That really makes it clear as mud! Haha. I have some reading to do for sure.Thanks for the awesome links.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakerider16 View Post
My understanding is that Maristar, Prostar, X-Star, X2 & X1 all from the 205 hull. As Mzimme said its all the trim packages that vary. My prostar came with tower, speakers, and center ballast. I plumbed in 2 ballast pumps with switches and made it look as close to factory as I could. pretty happy with the results and basically have an X-Star now.
Ok. That makes much more sense, and what I was starting to figure out from the above 3 links.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: None
This would fit the bill.

1999 205V w/ 330 hp LTR

http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/boa/4513407757.html

Old 06-11-2014, 03:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-Star
I was in the same position as you last year. Spent several months reading this site and determined the 205v was the right boat for our family. We couldn't be happier with that choice. Happy reading
Old 06-11-2014, 03:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.robinson389 View Post
This would fit the bill.

1999 205V w/ 330 hp LTR

http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/boa/4513407757.html
Thanks. I hope to find one with a tower already installed, but that isnt a deal breaker. Hopefully I can get my rzr sold soon and pick one up this year--if not, its going to be next year before I pull the trigger on anything.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X15, 2006, MCX 5.7 liter vortex, yellow / white slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
Ummm... Don't you own a MariStar 215 + a tower + ballast system + x series graphics?
You are right, I also own a MariStar. I should have clarified the older models that are in his price range (~ 20k). I think 06 was the first year of the new hull, correct? My inlaws have a 2004 (old hull).
Old 06-11-2014, 04:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
The 205v is the quintessential wakeboard hull. It would also probably ski a little better than the MariStar hulls. That flat bottom won't handle rough water as well though. If you're in a large lake where storms tend to kick up this might be a little bit of an issue.

The Maristar hulls of that generation have more depth to them and should handle rough water better (Although still not what most would consider a "rough water" boat). They're more of a hybrid between the hull you'd typically see on an I/O runabout and a competition inboard hull. The 210/225/230/X-30 are more of a U shaped bottom than a V though. If surfing is your game I'd think a Maristar hull would do a bit better than a comparably weighted 205V.

Unless you're a borderline pro I'd be a lot more concerned with the condition and price of the boats than picking a particular hull and trying to buy that particular boat while ignoring others. The Maristar 210/225/230 all throw perfectly acceptable wakeboard wakes with ballast and can be had within your budget.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
The 205v is the quintessential wakeboard hull. It would also probably ski a little better than the MariStar hulls. That flat bottom won't handle rough water as well though. If you're in a large lake where storms tend to kick up this might be a little bit of an issue.

The Maristar hulls of that generation have more depth to them and should handle rough water better (Although still not what most would consider a "rough water" boat). They're more of a hybrid between the hull you'd typically see on an I/O runabout and a competition inboard hull. The 210/225/230/X-30 are more of a U shaped bottom than a V though. If surfing is your game I'd think a Maristar hull would do a bit better than a comparably weighted 205V.

Unless you're a borderline pro I'd be a lot more concerned with the condition and price of the boats than picking a particular hull and trying to buy that particular boat while ignoring others. The Maristar 210/225/230 all throw perfectly acceptable wakeboard wakes with ballast and can be had within your budget.
Thanks. Majority of boating will be done on Lake Martin, Alabama. And I would imagine either of them would be an improvement in rougher water than my 17.5' boat was. Either way, I've never really had a problem with rough water.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:59 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I didn't read your post, but a 96 205 would be perfect for you.

/Just kidding. I did read your post, and a 96 205 would be perfect. Of course, if you can find a 205V in your price range, that'd be even better considering your wants. But the regular 2nd Gen 205 will do it all fine with only a slight difference in seating arrangement.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.