Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-10-2014, 09:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
Exclamation Sea Foam / MMO just did a crazy thing to my engine. *VIDEO*

After getting the old girl uncovered recently, I decided to try to tune her up with a vacuum gauge. Last fall I replaced my distributor and didn't really get a chance to tune it before winterizing. When I summerized I plugged in the vacuum gauge and it was fluttering suggesting worn valve guides or sticking valves (?) -- see video below.

So a few days ago I dumped some Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase and let her run for a while over the last couple of days. I figured it couldn't hurt.

Tonight I found some Sea Foam in my garage and decided to drizzle that into the carb throat while at fast idle. I did that for a little while and then revved it up...

Suddenly my vacuum reading went way up. Like... it's steady at 25 inches now!!?! This seems like almost too much vacuum (it's above the 'normal' range on my gauge).

Timing was 10 BTDC for both clips in this video.

The first 12 seconds of the following video was shot last week. The remaining video was shot this evening.

What the hell is going on here? Did I free up a sticking valve or something? Engine experts or amateurs please chime in.

Video evidence: http://youtu.be/gBGPpnxxDF8
Old 06-10-2014, 09:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Although, I guess there is no such thing as "too much vacuum". Maybe I just dislodged something in this old gauge, although the engine definitely sounds better.

I should probably try this with another gauge, just to confirm.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:40 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 MasterCraft Tristar 190
Most likely broke a lot of built up carbon from valves and combustion chamber via thermal shock to the carbon deposits. Used to do this a lot at the Ford dealer. Can be done couple of ways. We used to put it in the engine via a vacuum port. The catch is is, if it goes in too fast you can lock up the engine or bend valves...seen it happen to on several 4.0 Explorers. Usually the Sea Foam can was emptied via the brake booster port and that would let a large volume in at one time but beware... I preferred to use a smaller vacuum port. We used to inject it into the engine, then shut it off and let it sit for 15 minutes. When it restarted it looked like a mosquito fogger. Engines ran smoother and more responsive. Be very careful!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

I was definitely stingy with the Sea Foam, lightly dripping it into the throat as she ran. I wasn't even getting much of a smoke show, wondering if the water in the exhaust keeps the smoke down.

Anyhow, I guess I'm a believer in the power of Sea Foam.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Im a believer in this stuff. I was highly skeptical, but one day it was on sale at the parts counter......buddy told me stories of customers. I bought it, then came home and youtube'd it.

Then I tried it on my 200,000mile 3.8 v6 1987 buick. The entire can of seafoam I let the engine suck up, until It stalled out. I had a hell of a time starting the motor. I ended up pulling the plugs, cleaning them up manually and then it started. Holly Smoke!!!! No pun intended. It honestly ran noticeably smoother after that. The idle was night and day difference. It drove nicer too.

I don't stick anything in the oil though. I don't believe in thinning oil out to clean passages. I use a high detergent oil for that.

The one thing is defiantly change you oil after this and probably your plugs too
Old 06-10-2014, 11:02 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
been using seafoam and mmo for about decade now on outboards, small engine, car and MC. Stuff works great. Switched to Gumout's product this year cuz it was on sale... and the MSDS had a few extra goodies in it.

IMO
Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

UPDATE: I just noticed that my vacuum gauge no longer zeros out... it reads high when not attached to anything. So likely when I throttled up and pulled more vacuum than normal (because of the Sea Foam, woot!) the gauge got "de-calibrated".

Either way, I'm a happy customer as the needle looks far better now than it did before and that's really the whole point.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:23 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
More throttle=less vacuum.

I have used a 50/50 mix of water and brake fluid to do the same thing.

You ever seen the head or piston from a cylinder with a head gasket leak? Spotless!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
You ever seen the head or piston from a cylinder with a head gasket leak? Spotless!
That's true! But not my preferred method to clean pistons!
Old 06-11-2014, 03:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
More throttle=less vacuum.

I have used a 50/50 mix of water and brake fluid to do the same thing.

Yep nothing like using cheap H20 to clean a top end. small vacuum hose in cup + moderate revs + attached to small port on intake or carburetor = clean engine.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE