Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-08-2014, 09:28 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes. 351, 1:1.
'84SS stalls under load after ~25 seconds. fuel system problem?

'84SS, 351 Windsor, 1:1. Low hours (500 total).

Interesting situation that I can't quite figure out. After thorough de-winter tune up including emptying and cleaning gas tank, new inline fuel filter, carb (Holley 4bbl) tuning with vacuum gauge, and checking even those second tier things like transmission fluid and packing box drip rate, got something that I cannot quite diagnose. To be fair, the boat never left the garage last summer, so sat there for 18 months with just a lightweight winterization (stabil and drain plugs).

In neutral, engine purrs. very responsive to throttle.

Under load, you can almost set your watch- at 2200-2400 RPM, the engine will run perfectly fine for 25 seconds and then stall (engine dies completely). The inline fuel filter (the $5 see-through variety that you can get at SkiDim or anywhere) sits between the tank and fuel pump, and the fuel pump cannot keep it full, whether sitting upright, or on its side. It seems that, under load, the fuel pump will eventually and consistently fail to deliver fuel. This is a rookie diagnosis, but seems consistent. Increase RPMs, and the time decreases. I.e. 3000 RPM and you might stall at 20 seconds.

Is it what I really think, a failing fuel pump? If its a failing fuel pump, do I replace the rigid fuel line from the pump to the carb with a flexible connection? It seems that the original equipment does not meet USCG requirements, although I have -zero- evidence of leakage. Their stance: "The flexible fuel line may be hose, "USCG Type A1" or "USCG Type B1," depending on compliance with the criteria of 183.558."

Is this possibly a deteriorating fuel line? Given that it is an '84, and this is 2014, I am forced to run unleaded gas, but use 93 octane, 100%, (no ethanol) and use lead substitute. I understand that some fuel lines are susceptible to deterioration from exposure to ethanol.

What does your experience tell you? fuel pump, fuel lines, or both? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Jim-84SS.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
clogged gas tank vent
Old 06-08-2014, 10:43 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I agree with CruisinGAthat a clogged fuel tank vent is a likely source. I would get that cleaned, then replace the fuel line from the tank to the pump with fuel line that is approved for ethanol. If that doesn't fix your problem, then the fuel pump is the likely culprit. The metal fuel line, assuming it it a solid line from fuel pump to carb, without any rubber hose, is USCG approved. So is a proper braided stainless line.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 06-08-2014, 11:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
I would not lose any sleep over the fuel filter not being completely full, they never are. On my little 302 has an edelbrock rpm fuel pump 110 gph and never keeps the filter full not even at idle.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 06-08-2014, 11:26 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
I would not lose any sleep over the fuel filter not being completely full, they never are. On my little 302 has an edelbrock rpm fuel pump 110 gph and never keeps the filter full not even at idle.
Good point. Mine is never full either.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 06-09-2014, 08:42 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1986 Prostar 351PCM Grey and Black
Is it the original fuel pump? Is it still painted engine color????? if so I would just get it off of there regardless diaphragm could have cracked. not to mention oil leaking in it from top.. have seen that seal fail and you suck oil into the fuel also.....

I would check the coil..... along with the points and condenser " if you still have them".... sounds electrical to me maybe....

Tags
1984 ss, fuel pumps, stalling