Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-03-2014, 10:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94 Prostar 205
Considering move to Cape Canaveral area

As the title says, I am considering a move to the Cape Canaveral, Fl area early next year. I have done some research about the surrounding lakes but it has been somewhat limited. I currently have a 94 PS 205 and would like to keep it freshwater only if all possible. Do any of you live in that area? Where do you recommend boating, skiing, living, etc? I will likely work near the Cape vicinity since I am an engineer (atleast it appears there is large job growth there, any insight with this would be helpful also) and would like to limit my travel to 20 miles or so from work and 10 miles from a lake. Hopefully my expectation are not realistic, but any information would be helpful.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:16 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Do it! We used to go out there almost every weekend when we lived in Orlando -- I'd tell my wife, half jokingly, that "this is my favorite place in the whole world." I was actually talking about Cocoa Beach, but close enough...

Unfortunately, the freshwater skiing locations in that area seem limited. You'd be surrounded by salt water. I never really looked because I lived/skied in Orlando. I know that back then Chris Parrish's family lived on a lake in east Orlando (semi-private Lake Pickett) and his dad commuted to his job at NASA/Canaveral (his mom was a real estate agent who was showing us some properties around the lake). It's a long 35 mile drive but almost all highway.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge of that local area can chime in.

Good luck.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 06-03-2014, 01:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94 Prostar 205
Thanks for the info. I would consider driving further to work if I lived closer to a lake.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:10 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by icewake View Post
Thanks for the info. I would consider driving further to work if I lived closer to a lake.
It's a trade-off. I had a similar choice after I moved to this area and decided on the opposite. I drive to work 5 days a week on average but only go to the lake about 1-2 times a week on average (and some weeks not at all). So, I chose to live closer to work -- 10 minute drive to work, 30 minutes to the lake. Like Canaveral, where I live/work is surrounded by salt water and is close to the beach. The lake is further inland.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190