Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-12-2014, 12:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Xstar 2008
Replacing Break Line

On Sunday trailer had no breaks. Checked reservoir to find it empty. Filled, but break-fluid all leaked out. Pulled out break line which runs in trailer channel to find it badly corroded. Decided to make up my own new one and cover it with a nylon pipe and seal the ends so that no water can ever touch it again. I hope this works. Used nylon ski rope to pull the line back into the trailer channel.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2014, 05:48 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Hopefully, you used stainless line. On my old boat, MC wrapped the brake lines in a rubber sheath, and it made matters worse, trapping water against the lines, which rusted badly in a relatively short period of time.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Wow! If your brake line is that badly rusted, I wonder what the inside of your tongue looks like. Agree with East Texas Skier, stainless brake lines would have been the way to go. I can see the zinc plating in your pictures. It will be hard to tell if your line is rusting with that rubber hose around it. Is your boat in salt water?
Old 05-13-2014, 08:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Mine looked that way too. There is also a poly/plastic flexible type hose that I used.

I tried the stainless steel but couldn't get the flare or seal right (doing it myself). If you already have flared ends, you're in better position than I was......

1994 205, LT1
Old 05-27-2014, 02:29 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Xstar 2008
Thanks for the advice. I could not get hold of a ss break line. I sealed the ends with an excellent product. The entire job cost me $15 so I will replace the line again next year. It only took me ten minutes. In fact I do not need any excuse to work on the boat, for me it's a privilege not work.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:04 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Yes, Stainless line & ends next time, and you shouldn't have to do it again. Then you can work on more privilege projects.

Tags
break line, corrosion, trailer