Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 05-24-2014, 02:50 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: In search of MC
1992 Maristar, 470 hrs, $11,000 Sound Right?

I'm looking at a 92 Maristar, appears to be very well kept. Only issue is water was noticed in oil. There is a small leak in exhaust manifold. Owner thinks that either small leak in manifold or condensation from not getting all water out of engine a few years ago may be cause of water in oil. It was not used last year. Owner changed oil 3 times, ran boat 30 min, and oil appears clear with no water. I would love to get expert opinions before making a very long trip. Thank you in advance.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2014, 03:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Since there is still a small chance of cracked block make sure to take it for an extended lake test before handing over cash. Any evidence of even a small amount of water is a deal breaker as the heat should have evaporated what little water That remained when up to operating temp. I've had water in oil issues and if the leak is fixed, 1 oil change removes 95%. Oil will sometimes be slightly milky after but clear up once up to temp as it evaporates out of hot oil pretty quickly. Also need to decide whether you would buy it if it needs engine work. May turn out to be excellent otherwise- what would it be worth with cracked block? Research repair cost and if possible get quote from boat shop to bring with you. Also need to discuss this possibility with the owner. How much is he willing to sell it for if engine is bad? Some folks have a hard time dealing with the fact that ther $11k boat is now only worth $3~$4 k and will think they can fix for cheap instead of selling it for what it is worth with bad engine.

Did they indicate they fixed the manifold gasket? If they didn't and are indicating this is why there is water in the oil, I'd be suspicious. Unless the leak is fixed and verified OK it could be a fairly simple and low cost intake manifold gasket fix or a $9k engine replacement. If there is still water in the oil, that is too big of gamble to take by hoping it is the intake gasket. If they are referring to a leak in the exhaust gasket water has a much tougher time getting in past rings and such but not impossible.

Last edited by Rossterman; 05-24-2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:35 AM
TT Newbie

Small leak still exist. Estimated parts around $400 + labor. I am prepared to have that fixed contingent on how well boat is price. I will be sure to get boat to temp when testing.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:02 AM
MC Fanatic

What specifically is leaking ? Intake manifold or exhaust manifold? Shouldn't be anywhere close to that for a exhaust manifold. 1/2hr labor and $10 part. Intake manifold, now that's probably close to 2 hours + $50 in parts.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:40 AM
TT Newbie

I was thinking that too and I'm a girl. He said exhaust manifold on starboard side. I think he had it worked on at the beginning of this season when he discovered the water in oil. It was ran this past weekend and a small leak still exist. I feel confident he is trustworthy in that he isn't exactly sure how the water got in the oil, but he did say parts for the fix would run about $400. I too questioned the expense for an exhaust mani leak. I'm not so concerned about the leak as I am about how the water got into the oil, how long the boat was ran in that condition, and if the water in oil issue is solved. I don't think the boat was ran long when he noticed milky oil. Is condensation and or leak a reasonable explanation for this occurrance?
Old 05-24-2014, 08:36 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
If you're saying the oil is milky still after 3 oil changes I would move on.
Usual cause is cracked block/head or bad head gaskets.

BTW, what is your primary intended use for the boat? It's not really set up for wakeboarding (no tower/ballast) and it's not the best slalom machine either. There should be a lot of boats out there in your price range, get one that is perfect for you.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
Agree... Pass on this one. I don't think that is a good price for that year with a problem. Unless you are super handy and can get it for a lot less than that but there are others out there in that price range. The fact that the owner mentioned that it may have not been winterized correctly and then it was not used for a year tells me that there is possibly a major problem. The oil changes sound like a desperate attempt to hope it can be squeaked past a new owner.

If you tell us what you are looking to do with the boat and a price range we can help find some other options.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:20 AM
TT Newbie

I think I may have been misleading. After the gentleman noticed water in oil, he drained/changed 2 times before running engine. He then took on water and drained afterwards. Oil was clear and no water was detected. Primary purpose is purely family, leisure time on water. Thank you for the guidance!
Old 05-24-2014, 10:17 AM
MC Fanatic

I wouldn't be too inclined to advance the $400 to have the boat fixed. Why aren't they doing that before selling to ensure it's alright. If you pay to fix it and it still has an issue with water in the oil where does that leave you? Even with a signed contract stating you will be 100% refunded folks are a long ways away to chase down $400. Not saying they are shady or not forthright but deals breakdown all the time. You need to have an agreed upon resolution for all outcome before spending the time to travel and see it. Like:

1. Signed agreement that money will be refunded or counted towards purchase price depending on whether YOU decide to buy and:
2. Agreed upon price if all checks out OK and you decide to purchase
3. If problem isn't fixed, an agreed upon price to buy as is

That way, you are 100% in control of whether you want to buy. Worst this is you get there, boat still has a problem but is what you want but the owner won't sell it for a reasonable price when considering what it will cost to fix. In this case, you've wasted your time and money and now have to get the $400 back.

To be honest, there is a lot of downside and risk in this deal. I know you are probably anxious to get a boat as the season is starting but I think the others advice to pass is probably what I would do. If they don't have the $400 to fix it, they probably skimped on other maintenance. Also pics always look better than what they are in person. Many on this board have made a long trip based on pics and owners swearing their boat is "like new" to only find something else when they get there and driving back pissed and empty handed.

If you still are interested in pursuing this one, post a request to have on of the teamtalk members go by first to check it out and give you an honest opinion before proceeding. Where is it located?
Old 08-06-2014, 10:38 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC, 454/425hp
Any outcome on this? Why wouldn't a compression/cylinder leakdown check verify head gasket integrity?

If the cylinders have and hold compression, this would rule out head gasket as source of water in the oil (which would be my first place to look for cause).

Second, if the exhaust riser is cracked is leaking water into the engine exhaust, it could find its way into one of the cylinders and into oil....or worse hydrolock the engine resulting in a shelled engine. For $11K, I would expect the engine sorted without leaks or internal significant red flags.

Third, condensation could result in water in the oil, but as was said, a good gallop will boil that off lickety split.

All in all, this is a big, nice boat for general lake fun and if you buy/bought it right and reliable, you'll have a great boat for a long time.

Last edited by 6gun; 08-06-2014 at 10:50 AM.