Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-23-2014, 01:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Stars and Stripes 1974 351
Cool Oil pump replacement 74' S & S

I recently purchased a 1974 Stars and Stripes with a 351. The previous owner had the engine rebuilt. He had an high flow oil pump installed. When I got it on the water I noticed that the boat had no oil pressure and idle or low range rpm. I didn't show pressure until around 2300 rpm. I then pulled one of the valve covers to see if there was no oil pressure or just the sending unit wasn't reading it. There was no oil present at the rocker arms until 2300 rpm. So now I'm looking to find out if you all have tips for me as to which oil pump I should replace the existing one with.( Which from reading other posts here I am sure you have the answers I seek! )

Thanks, Chad
Old 03-23-2014, 02:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Welcome to Team Talk. There are many S&S fans on here, so we are all going to want to see some pictures of your boat.

I'm no expert, but I would try the standard volume oil pump for that engine. There would not be a "marine" oil pump.

Looking for an oil pump for a '74 351w led me to this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sl...view/make/ford

I'm sure someone who knows what they are talking about will be along shortly.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
If the engine is in good shape and clearances are tight, then the standard volume pump is what you want. If its a little tired with loose clearances, a high volume pump may help keep pressure up.

No way to tell what you need until you pull the engine and drop the pan.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:22 PM
TT Newbie

Thank you guys! Sorry about the delay but I just got back to town. The engine was rebuilt last spring by the previous owner and his mech. had installed a high flow pump. But it doesn't produce pressure until around 2300 RPM. So I am just looking to get one that provides constant oil pressue and enough volume.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:41 PM
TT Newbie

I just pulled the engine and I am not sure what I am looking at. Lol I have never seen a oil pan of this magnitude. If anyone out there can help it would be much appreciated! I bought a 315w oil pump and oil pan gasket but the bolts in the pan and the holes in the gasket don't match up. Pan shows nine bolts on the right side and the gasket shows 11. Please help the newbie
Old 05-15-2014, 07:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by S & S Newby View Post
I just pulled the engine and I am not sure what I am looking at. Lol I have never seen a oil pan of this magnitude. If anyone out there can help it would be much appreciated! I bought a 315w oil pump and oil pan gasket but the bolts in the pan and the holes in the gasket don't match up. Pan shows nine bolts on the right side and the gasket shows 11. Please help the newbie
I hate to pass off anything to a generic answer but a reliable resource of established knowledge to assist you are the fine folks at Discount Inboard Marine. If they do not know it, it doesn't need to be known as far as the 351 engine. May I suggest to call them tomorrow and go from there? Great people to work with and most anyone that answers the phone will be helpful. There may be someone here that has the answer and that is great, but thing is, you have these guys on the line, reassured from conversation that you are on the right page, then order the part. One stop and a done deal.

www.skidim.com

While you have the engine out, consider new front and rear seals....easy fix at this point and good preventative maintenance.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 05-15-2014, 08:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Just an idea, but are you sure it's a 351w ford engine? In the early days mastercraft used ford, gm and even chrysler engines. Got a picture of said engine?

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 05-15-2014, 08:34 PM
TT Newbie

I do but....

I don't know how to load it from my phone.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:32 PM
TT Newbie

Ok, thanks to everyone for the help. It is in fact a 351w. I had just never seen a cast oil pan on a 351w before so it had me worried. I replaced the oil pump, pick up and shaft. I then reinstalled the oil pan, bolted it all back up and added Lucas Oil 20-50 full synthetic race oil along with a Motorcraft oil filter. Proceeded to fire up the engine and still had NO oil making it to the top of the engine! So I did some more research on this little pain and found that there are a total of 4 oil freeze plugs hidden. 1 is under the intake manifold in the oil galley towards the rear of the engine. The other 3 are behind the timing gear on the cam. Any of which are missing will cause lack of oil making to the rockers. Of course I pulled the manifold thinking this was the easiest to access. But that plug was there and in great shape. I then pulled the harmonic balancer and proceeded to remove the timing cover. Once I removed the cam gear I noticed that in fact it was missing all three plugs. Two are to the left side of the cam and the third sets behind the distributor shaft to the right and it also sets further back. I bought this boat with a running and freshly rebuilt 351w that has never had oil pressure. I have no idea how someone set the rockers and valves without asking themselves...... Shouldn't I have a drop of lubrication up here? Thank goodness or assembly lube! Because without it the engine would have grenade itself. I will post pics of the areas soon. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
good find on the oil plugs

Tags
1974, 351, low pressure, oil pump, stars and stripes