Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-06-2014, 02:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineLakeRumble View Post
LWS,

Like BrianM do you also use the 4 step process or do you go straight from "Finesse" polish to Wax?
I'm using BrianM's four step process. I find the third step with the Meguiar's No. 45 makes the least difference.

I've got a twenty year old boat I bought last year, so I don't know about the history of my gelcoat and how it has been worked on. It looks like your boat is even older. I've tried to be conservative, but I've recently discovered some specks (maybe tiny voids) similar to what I've seen elsewhere on this forum that others have found can only be cured by re-gelcoating in all likelhood. These are generally in areas where I believed I had reason to wet sand and then compounded and polished. Fortunately, they are not noticeable from a distance, but it makes me want to be all the more vigilant about being no more aggressive than necessary.

It looks like you have a lot of white on your boat, which I think shows problems less than dark colors. I'm not sure how severe your oxidation may be, but you might want to consider adjusting your process on different parts of the boat according to the condition of the gelcoat.

On boats this old, I'm more mindful than ever now of not making the cure worse than the disease.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190
Thanks LWS,

My 86 is really clean. Should be good with just polish and wax. I left a deposit on a project boat ('94 190, TBI) that is needing a lot of work. I'm going back at the end of the month for the water test. I'm looking forward to working on the boat this summer. Just trying to get my ducks in a row as this boat needs lots of exterior (and interior) help. Did you ever wonder why Brian didn't stick with another 3M product rather than switching to the Meguires line?
Old 05-07-2014, 10:36 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Did you ever wonder why Brian didn't stick with another 3M product rather than switching to the Meguires line?
I have just always had great results with the Meguires 3 step system Polish and Carnuba wax. I've tried other including 3M and keep coming back to the Meguires.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 05-07-2014, 10:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
I have just always had great results with the Meguires 3 step system Polish and Carnuba wax. I've tried other including 3M and keep coming back to the Meguires.

I used the meguires stage 2 then followed up with collinite 920, the. Waxed with 925... Looks great.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks LWS,

My 86 is really clean. Should be good with just polish and wax. I left a deposit on a project boat ('94 190, TBI) that is needing a lot of work. I'm going back at the end of the month for the water test. I'm looking forward to working on the boat this summer. Just trying to get my ducks in a row as this boat needs lots of exterior (and interior) help. Did you ever wonder why Brian didn't stick with another 3M product rather than switching to the Meguires line?
Thanks for clarifying what you're working on.

Yes, I’ve wondered that and maybe BrianM will chime in with his rationale, but when I made the decision to try his process he had experience doing this and I didn’t and I was trying to not re-invent the wheel. Even as it is, I've experimented on my old gelcoat more than I would like. Reading the product descriptions for his pad/polish progression, I could see where his progression would make sense. The 3M video on their system does say Finesse It II Finishing Material is more aggressive than Perfect It Machine Polish, leaving the potential for improvement with a less aggressive polish following Finesse II Finishing Material, especially when it is being run on a less aggressive pad (Lake Country white following Lake Country orange in BrianM’s process).

Generally speaking, I think there can be reasons to change lines. In his book, which is auto paint oriented, Autogeek’s training director – Mike Phillips -- says everybody should have some Menzerna 4500, an ultra fine cut polish, for their auto paint. He likes other products in their line too, but doesn’t advocate their line exclusively, so he knows in making that recommendation on 4500 that people will be using it to follow products from other lines. My research on wax has led me to Collinite’s products, so I’m changing lines on the wax too, though I haven’t yet applied it yet since I’m trying to repair some damaged gelcoat so I can wax the whole boat without breaking into the wax for a repair.

On Autogeek’s forum, I’ve seen it alleged that Meguiar is more prone to using fillers with temporary effects compared so say, Menzerna, which Mercedes uses in its factories. I’m not sure if that’s true about Meguiar, but it could be something different about them that could cause someone to prefer their product in a final polishing step.

EDIT: I see Brian responded while I was composing my response.

Last edited by lake weir skier; 05-07-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-07-2014, 12:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
Ever tried any Menzerna stuff? I've got several of their products for my Tacoma but haven't used them yet. I suspect they have something that would fit with your third step for gelcoat, but I haven't wanted to experiment with it on my boat. Autogeek's training director tried Menzerna products on the gel on his old ski boat and some other lines. Several of the lines produced nice looking results in his photos, but I find it difficult to discern fine detailing differences in photos posted to the internet.

Last edited by lake weir skier; 05-07-2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-07-2014, 02:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake weir skier View Post
Ever tried any Menzerana stuff? I've got several of their products for my Tacoma but haven't used them yet. I suspect they have something that would fit with your third step for gelcoat, but I haven't wanted to experiment with it on my boat. Autogeek's training director tried Menzerna products on the gel on his old ski boat and some other lines. Several of the lines produced nice looking results in his photos, but I find it difficult to discern fine detailing differences in photos posted to the internet.
Haven't used the Menzerana.

Really any 'favorite' polish and then wax can be used with the same results. I am sure there are probably 'better' products available. There are hundreds of product which would fit the bill.

The three reasons I use the Meguires for the last two steps are 1: I get good results 2: Easily obtainable at most local auto parts stores. 3: Very reasonable cost.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 05-07-2014, 04:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Wax

Quote:
LWS,

Like BrianM do you also use the 4 step process or do you go straight from "Finesse" polish to Wax?
I use a 3 step process. Here's what I use most of the time for my black car. Now this is for a Black Denali that gets it every year and half or so. We run it through the car wash and etc.. So it's not babied likes my HD.

3M Super Duty Compound
3M Swirl Eliminator ( Best product I've ever seen or used)
Blackfire Sealant ( I use menzerma alot too)

Now my Harley Davidson never sees a car wash or rain, so I only use Menzerma products on it.

Here's some pics
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2014, 04:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Let's see how good you really are?

I also want to put up a post for the lightweights out there. Sand down a fender on a black car, then bring it back to perfect condition! This will separate the men from the boys!
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2014, 01:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
I also want to put up a post for the lightweights out there. Sand down a fender on a black car, then bring it back to perfect condition! This will separate the men from the boys!

That's some pretty impressive work. I've been compounding and using Finesse on my boat as time permits. I had to have a little outpatient surgery this week and it slowed me down, but I will post some photos as soon as I get done. Thanks to everyone for your guidance on this process.

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Red X14V on Center Hill & Old Hickory lakes in TN -