Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-16-2014, 11:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar, 1999, 330 LTR
Adding Amp to '99 Maristar and looking for some guidance

My stereo project just took the next step and I bought an amp to go along with the new speakers and head unit. I'm planning on installing this tomorrow and Friday and I'm looking for a little guidance from the you guys.

My boat came from the factory with the Clarion M5475 and Clarion speakers. I'm replacing the head unit with the M502 and the speakers 4-JL MX650 speakers. I'm adding a JL M400 amp and here's where my questions start. I found a wire harness behind the dash with a label "AMP" & "GROUND", does anyone know how MC powered this harness? Is there a way for me to find specs on what it can handle? I want to wire this amp in properly but don't want to install all new wiring if the circuit from the factory can handle the amps draw.

Second question, I'm thinking of mounting the amp right to the panel below the dash, is there any reason not to do this? I see a bunch of guys mounting them on under the glove box, is that a better place? Moving the amp to the side closer to the battery could save me on heavy gauge wire but it means re-wiring the whole boat too.

Ok, lets here what you all think.....
Old 04-16-2014, 02:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Just as long as you do NOT mount the amplifier upside down.

There is not a wire in that harness (unless it is an 8-gauge minimum and a short distance and independent of the helm fuse/breaker buss) that will support the current draw of an external amplifier. So you will need to add a dedicated run from the battery or battery switch.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar, 1999, 330 LTR
I'm going to run a dedicated wire from the battery. I dug up an old winch harness I had on a prior truck, 2-#2 flex wire in a braided sheath that is long enough.

I'm guessing you say not to mount upside down because the heat would radiate directly up to the amp. Mounting vertically should be fine right?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 mastecraft maristar 225
I have my amps mounted under the glove box. Reason why is that I have 3 and it made running power wires easier
Old 04-16-2014, 07:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie623 View Post
I'm going to run a dedicated wire from the battery. I dug up an old winch harness I had on a prior truck, 2-#2 flex wire in a braided sheath that is long enough.

I'm guessing you say not to mount upside down because the heat would radiate directly up to the amp. Mounting vertically should be fine right?
Why not upside down?
Because the primary heat generating transistors are mounted on top closest to the greatest heat sink mass. Heat rises. Flipping the amplifier defeats the intended design for heat dissipation and also has heat rising through the circuit board and smaller signal electronics. The amplifier will thermal sooner and it will not last as long.
Mounting vertical should be fine as long as there is adequate free space above the amplifier.