Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-28-2014, 05:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by funonthewater View Post
I have just stumbled on what seems like a great deal and wanted some advice. I came accross a 1985 351 complete engine, transmission and all the extras. It includes the manifolds, atlernator, air cleaner, everything. The transmission is a powerslot. The motor has 700 total hours on it and the person that I would be purchasing from is fully restoring his boat to be a show boat and dropping in a new Ilmor. I'm looking at $1,200 for what he has to offer. What do you think? Will I run into issues putting a 1985 motor into a 1989 boat?
Should be plug and play without any modifications.

Now the power slot will be tricky. The shaft, coupler, packing, through hull parts, strut may work if there is a different size cutlass bearing but I think the strut is slot specific, prop, etc are non slot and slot specific.

If you do not have a slot and are trying to add the slot then you will need to but above parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-28-2014, 05:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351
Any guess on what I may be looking at to buy the parts. Also, the motor for sale is a PCM and the boat currently has an INDMAR. Are the PCM engines strong as well.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by funonthewater View Post
Any guess on what I may be looking at to buy the parts. Also, the motor for sale is a PCM and the boat currently has an INDMAR. Are the PCM engines strong as well.
Same engines.....different marinization company....Not much difference as I recall. The alternators are on different sides and the raw water pumps are different but with a straight swap, all the wiring should work like-for-like. Engine mounts should also be the same....I personally like the PCM setup a little better....

I'd consider using the' new to you' 351 and leave the standard transmission (that you now have) in place. Gotta' draw the line somewhere..... or replace the entire drive line to accommodate the slot. How much do you want to spend for the gain in a slot? I've had both and there's not that much difference to me...

US$1,200 is not a bad deal for 700 hours as long as you're getting a good engine to begin with (compression check and no salt or brackish water use). If it's solid and comes fully equipped, that would be a winner. Seven hundred hours is still a fairly fresh engine.

I would ask for the wiring harness with the engine. He'll have to rewire his Foxworthy mod anyway he goes about it, so you may as well benefit to having a like-for-like harness (less a few caution lights).

Plenty of threads and info here on the forum about this very scenario.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 03-28-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:28 PM
MC Maniac

Agree with ^^^^

The PCM and indmar 351 is the same block. The transmissions will work on either power plant.

If the engine brackets are different then put the indmar engine mounts on the PCM. They bolt in the same spot. The 351 will be identical and I would not want to risk getting then engine in and the transmission hooked up to find out the angles are off or the mounting holes to the hull are not exactly right. I'd put the indmar mounts on the PCM and hook up the standard tranny and hoist her into the boat. Wire it up like cloaked said and call it a day.

Sell the tranny online. Take the bad 351 apart. Salvage all the keep items like intake, maybe heads, alternator, distributor, carb, etc. Scrap the bad block at a wrecking yard for $40 or whatever it weighs in at. Then sell every other item on TT. You will sell the carb or keep it for back up but the ignition, distributor, starter, raw pump etc will go fast or keep as spare parts. The starter, distributor, carb, intake should all work on either brand engine.

If you want to keep it looking like an indmar then put the indmar accessories (raw pump, alternator, maybe water pump) on the PCM and call it a day.

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-29-2014, 09:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
What he said...... Could be a plug and play deal with just transferring parts from the Indmar to the PCM engine.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:35 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the advice. What should the compression be for the PCM?
Old 03-29-2014, 03:50 PM
MC Maniac

Take the coil wire off, open the throttle all of the way. Spin the engine. You should be around 140psi per cylinder. Or at least in that ballpark.

If you have one cylinder that is 10% off then there may be a problem.

If all cylinders average 130 then it's fine if they average 170 you're fine. If all cylinders average 170 and you have a 130 then there is a problem. They should be within 10%

If you have a high cylinder and the rest are lower then make sure water or oil is not in that cylinder. Just a squirt of wd40 before the test will make that one cylinder read high. If you have one that is real low then be concerned of blow by on the rings, blown head gasket, bent valve, etc.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-16-2014, 05:56 PM
TT Newbie

So, I have the '85 PCM motor in and kept the standard 1:1 tranny in place. The motor mounts from the '89 Indmar were pretty crusty and one was bad, so I used the motor and tranny mounts from the PCM. Everything seemed to be going well, including the adjustments to line up the coupler on the drive shaft, then I ran out of adjustment on the driver side motor mount. I'm still not aligned to spec for the couplers mating together and it appears I may need to modify the mount to get everything aligned properly. Is there any adjustment in the drive shaft at all that could help me get things lined up or do I need to look at cutting away at some of the motor mount area that looks the end of a bone to get a little extra adjustment out of it.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.