Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2014, 06:50 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1995
Wakesurfing

I have a 95 MC Prostar 190. No ballasts or sacs. I want to try to wakesurf. 1.) is this possible with 300-400lbs of people in the boat or is it a lost cause 2) if possible, what type of board do I need. I'm a 5'3" female 120lbs. I love the Inland boards but not the price tag $! Thank you for any suggestions!!!!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2
Well, I find pictures of the proposed wakesurfer usually help in determining the amount of ballast needed.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star
Wake surfing behind that boat, even with ballast, is going to be very difficult. We used to try as kids behind buddy's Nautique 196 with two 400lb bags and the boat full of people and it was tough. We used an ocean surfboard too.

To have any chance behind your boat, look for something thick with tons of float. You're really going to have to work to stay in the very short pocket, so you'll want something quick. A durable, cheap option to learn on would be a Catch Surf Super One. Make sure to have all the weight in the back corner of the boat, we even used to sit on the swim platform while underway. (Still do today!)

http://catchsurf.com/super-one-surfboard.html

I have one for junk waves in the ocean, and it rips behind my boat.

Pick up some fat sacs if you can. There's lots of options available at a low cost. WakeMakers.com is a great place to start. Just get an aerator pump you can manually fill with then you can tuck it all away when you don't need it.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Nothing yet
You can "surf" with any wake. The question is whether or not you'll be able the throw the rope and truly ride the wave. My guess is probably not. You'll need more weight and some fat friends. If you're okay holding the rope, then you can "surf".
Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Pro Star 205 1994 LT1
We have a 94' 205 and you can surg, just have to have the rope. Even with all your "big" frineds in the boat. One of our friends sons can let go but its short lived and he has to pump pretty hard to keep going. I have only surfed a few times behind a boat that was set up so its still fun to me even with the rope even though some will say its not "real surfing"
Old 04-11-2014, 02:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
My friend has a DD Nautique that he surfs behind. He takes his plug out for a bit for a little ballast, and then loads everyone up on the side. He's 220 + and can go without the rope on a hyperlite broadcast. The pocket is very short, but surfable. I would imagine you could get similar results with a PS 190.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2014, 02:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
My friend has a DD Nautique that he surfs behind. He takes his plug out for a bit for a little ballast, and then loads everyone up on the side. He's 220 + and can go without the rope on a hyperlite broadcast. The pocket is very short, but surfable. I would imagine you could get similar results with a PS 190.

Wait.. what? He pulls his plug while the boats sitting in the lake?
Old 04-11-2014, 02:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
Just for a bit. I wouldn't, but he does.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:28 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1995
Thank you for all the good advice so far. I saw an Obrien Alias 5' 0" for sale used. Would this be a good enough board to take try to see if it' worth it before investing? Also, I have NO experience with ballast bags as I've always been a slalom skier. Are they fairly easy to get up and maintain if we have to drain them each time as I trailer the boat? Newbie on this!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star
Super simple. Place bag where you want, hook up pump and throw intake overboard. Fill. Enjoy. Drain by reversing the way you attached the pump to fill, and pack it away. A 600lb bag can lay completely flat and take up virtually zero onboard space. The pump fits in your hand and has about a 4' long hose.

Tags
wakesurf