Go Back   TeamTalk > News & Information > Team Talk Forum Help- Forum Issues Only

Old 04-05-2014, 12:44 AM
oz5ks

Prop Refurb

I am looking to buy a 2009 X-15. One of the 4 blades on the prop is bent. Can the prop be reconditioned and if so, what might I expect it to cost?

Secondly, since it is bent, what other issues should I look for (bent shaft, etc.) during my dry inspection and test drive of the boat? Appears the blade is bent towards the bow!

Thxs

Larry
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2014, 02:03 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
Short answer, yes, it can be fixed. Hard to tell from the pic but it doesn't look that bad. Cost, likely in the $150 - 200 range, depending on the extent.

If the blade is bent forward it may have happened while in reverse, so the speed would not have been that great.

During the water test check for vibration at various speeds. You can do a visual check for a bent shaft by rotating it slowly although a run-out gauge would be more accurate. Also check for trueness of the strut and the condition of the cutlass bearing. The prop shaft should be centered at both ends.

The extent of any damage would also depend on how long the prop ran after the accident and at what speed. A slow idle to get back the dock wouldn't do any damage.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:01 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I would also take a look at the strut hull union... look for any spider cracks. these props are fairly soft to absorb most impacts -

I agree with wheelerd
Old 04-05-2014, 10:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
If I was buying a boat and the prop had problems, I would factor the cost of a new prop. I would also be concerned about the shaft and strut, depending on how bad the prop was damaged.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
My guess is your strut and shaft will be OK. I hit something once at skiing speed, mangled the prop and bent the strut. I figured I would have to replace the shaft but it actually was OK. Given it's length and relative thickness (thinness?) it has some flex to it.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:31 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
If you have a feeler gauge, you can check the shaft run out in a matter of minutes. Reconditioning that prop should cost around $120 plus shipping (both ways). Don't test drive until there's a true prop on there so you can check for other things.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:06 PM
oz5ks

Prop Refurb

Thxs for all your insight and recommendations on what to look for. I totally agree to not water test it with a bad prop!

Larry

Tags
drive shaft, prop, propeller