Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-27-2014, 12:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-30
I need some stereo advice

I have a 2004 X30.

I just upgraded the tower speakers. It had 4 speaker fiberglass box that housed 2 MB Quart 6.5s and 2 Selenium Horn speakers. They were crap.

I put in the Kicker KM6500.2 set in last night. It has 2 KM6500s and 2 KM6500.2 Horns.

In addition to these I have 4 Kicker 6.5" Coaxs arriving today. It has a MTX 10" sub, upgrading that later this summer. I have the stock Clarion Head Unit with 2 Soundstream Picasso Nano amps that I put in last year pushing all this.

The Sub has its own amp. It is doing ok but has a steady hiss and a consistent pop noise. So the 4 channel amp is pushing the tower and 4 cabin speakers.

Questions:

How do I track down the hiss and pop in the sub? What could be causing the noises?

Should I have a seperate amp for the tower, if so what watts and how many channels?

I have the old AutoTech Mean Machine 8000.5 still and am wondering could that be used to push the tower?

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-27-2014, 08:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
For the Kicker KM6500.2, I would suggest a dedicated amp to get your money's worth. I really prefer to drive this setup with 200W rms plus to each set. This is easily down with a 4 chnl bridged into 2 chnl mode. Amps, I would suggest: Kicker IX500.4, Arc Audio XDi804, Kicker KXM400.4.

I would consider keep a nano for 4 in-boats, but you could possibly also use your 5 chnl for the 4 in-boats and sub.

Is the sub pop at turn on or off? The hiss could be amp settings or upstream source, although it sounds like that amp is also powering the tower speakers. Does the Nano do "low-pass" and if so, are the sub chnls set to low-pass?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Hiss through a subwoofer is certainly an odd thing to have.
The amplifier's lowpass crossover would inhibit any hiss from an upstream source.
While there is a large difference between a woofer and a subwoofer, a subwoofer's higher VC inductance would create such an impedance rise above 150 Hz that the sub would be incapable of reproducing much hiss.
Describe the subwoofer 'pop' as turn on, turn off, a constant repetitive pop when the music is playing but unrelated to the music content and volume level, or a pop that corresponds with the music's bass content and timing. If the pop is continuous, before assuming the amplifier is bad, I would check ground quality, supply voltage under load, the output load impedance, and the output wiring.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

OK. I switched to LP 80hz last night on the 4 channel Nano. got rid of a lot of the hiss.

Sub still pops when I turn it on.

Also sound is a lot more crisp. adjusted the gain on both amps it was all screwy.

putting in the rest of the 6.5 coaxs tonight
Old 03-28-2014, 09:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
80 Hz lowpass is a low crossover point for a 10-inch sub, especially in an open boat. In a sealed box it is already at half power at 50 Hz or higher....then the crossover has it at half power at 80 Hz. Not much bandwidth. Just a narrow hump. Is 80 Hz LP the only selection?
Amplifiers have a mute circuit so that the amplifier has a chance to power up without reproducing a start-up/shut-down event of the other source electronics and the amplifier itself. If it is the only amplifier with the noise then you probably have a problematic amplifier. You can change the remote turn-on wiring scheme or add a relay with mixed results. But first remove the amplifier's RCA input and see if it still creates the noise. If so, the issue is internal and there is not any reasonable solution other than a repair or replacement. Make the test and someone will tell you what the next step is.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

3 selections on the amp available are
HP 80Hz F LP 80Hz
Old 03-28-2014, 12:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

The new Kicker speakers have LEDs

Can I wire them to control on one of the empty toggles on the dash?

If so, Can someone give me some instructions on how to do that?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Got rid of the subwoofer pop. His is virtually nil.

However, I fried half of my 4 channel amp. so tower is not working...

Getting amp just for the tower...
Old 03-31-2014, 09:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFuss View Post
The new Kicker speakers have LEDs

Can I wire them to control on one of the empty toggles on the dash?

If so, Can someone give me some instructions on how to do that?
If you want just a single color, yes, you can wire them to a helm rocker. The black wire is the switched B+ and the colored wire is the B- for each color.

If you want to take advantage of the speakers RGB capability, then you will need an RGB controller

Tags
amplifier, speakers