Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-03-2014, 11:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1990 PS 190
Speaker Install 1990 PS 190

Hey all-

Long time read, first time poster -

We purchased a 1990 PS 190, and it has no stereo. I have located the 4 pre-cut speaker holes, but I am wondering three things:
  1. What to do with the upholstry
  2. Mounting hardware (screws or bolts)
  3. Speaker wire placement

Thanks for your help!
Jay
Old 03-03-2014, 11:57 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Welcome to the posting side of TT. There are lots of people very knowledgeable in the stereo world here...................but I'm not one of them. Someone will be along with some great info for you.

Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the boat while we wait.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 03-04-2014, 10:06 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
There should be some tubes along the gunnel behind the side panels that will hold the wires up. I assume your panels have been recovered and that is why there is no hole presently? You will have to cut the material covering the holes and fold it back, stapling it to the insde of the panels. Make the cut outs like cutting a pie and fold each triangle back. There were plastic cups behind the speakers originally. If yours are missing, there might be someone on here who knows how to get them. The speaker next to the driver is a bear to get to the back of!
The cups are something like this:
http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xca...roductid=16681

Last edited by drschemel; 03-04-2014 at 10:09 AM. Reason: added link
Old 03-16-2014, 03:36 AM
TT Newbie

Thank you. I appreciate the help. The cups look good, and I will likely get them. In terms of the boat, it is in original condition, which is excellent, but it did not have a stereo to begin with. The precut holes in the gunnel came in every boat, but if there was no stereo, then the fabric was left covering. I will check on the tubes, I hope they are there. What about the hardware to install the speaker? What did the factory come with, do you or does anyone know? I'd like to go as close to factory as possible.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:12 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Not sure what was OEM but use stainless, self tapping, screws and make sure to pre drill your holes if they are going through a glasses surface.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:36 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayetnier View Post
Hey all-

Long time read, first time poster -

We purchased a 1990 PS 190, and it has no stereo. I have located the 4 pre-cut speaker holes, but I am wondering three things:
  1. What to do with the upholstry
  2. Mounting hardware (screws or bolts)
  3. Speaker wire placement

Thanks for your help!
Jay
There's a lot more than meets the eye on an install but you're on the right track...

If the PVC conduit is not there, you can hang the wire with zip-ties.

I have been pleased with the Clarion M309 head unit, a left-over amplifier from an old install, 4-Polk DB651 (http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Sli...0AZEAV7YMS5DKH) although there are better speakers as the price goes up. JL Audio up to Wet Sounds....etc...

Tell you what made my ears happy was a small 400W amp for the speakers, and a subwoofer to accompany.

Here's a thread from a while back for a setup for under $500 http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...20&postcount=5

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 03-22-2014, 11:29 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks all for the help thus far. I put the Sony head unit in today, got the Stinger for dual battery ready to go, speakers are in and wired, but now the question is: "Where to locate the red power, and the yellow ignition wire." More over, which wires can I splice into in order to get the power I need? Can I pull straight off the battery, if I do, should I use an inline fuse? Does the fuse on the back of the head unit protect the power supply such that an inline fuse would be redundant?

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS190
Here is a basic info video that may help. This same youtube channel has lots of how to car stereo install videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM24E_X4qNs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayetnier View Post
Thanks all for the help thus far. I put the Sony head unit in today, got the Stinger for dual battery ready to go, speakers are in and wired, but now the question is: "Where to locate the red power, and the yellow ignition wire." More over, which wires can I splice into in order to get the power I need? Can I pull straight off the battery, if I do, should I use an inline fuse? Does the fuse on the back of the head unit protect the power supply such that an inline fuse would be redundant?

Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited by flya750; 03-23-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS190
This past winter I installed a new stereo setup in my '97 PS190. In the beginning, I was all gungho about a dual battery bank setup with a battery switch and an ACR - (Separate house and starter circuits)

Fast forward to spring, I ended up with a single Optima Blue Top and just wired into the existing key switch/ACC wiring. For those times that I plan on playing the stereo for extended periods, I will bring a battery jumper pack. (Cost $89 bucks, a lot cheaper than a dual battery setup and super lightweight) I will be adding a battery monitor so I can keep an eye on the health of my expensive AGM battery. (I guess you're not suppose to drain an AGM to less than 50%) Oh, and I am going to replace my 17 year old alternator... I haven't decided if I should just replace the existing 55A unit or go through the hassle of upgrading to a 70A?

BTW, My stereo setup is a single amp, single 8" sub and headunit.

I think the battery monitor will be key in telling me when I should start the motor to get a quick charge. I can always add a battery bank setup down the road if needed.

http://www.westmarine.com/starting-a...pply--12972378

Last edited by flya750; 03-23-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:56 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for all the help.

I finished up - mostly, then put it back in storage. I'll post pics for sure in the later spring, but everything went well. I used the dual battery set up, I also had to cut a hole in the boat, which just sounds terrible, but the boat didn't have a radio spot - it does now thanks to the sawzall! Wiring was good too. We added a depth finder, and rearranged the left side gauges to accommodate, by removing the safety kill switch. Cause when you need space, the first thing to go is safety...

The second battery is located in the bow, just in front of there drivers feet, out of these way of ski storage. Mounted relay to wood cross member directy in back of dash, mounted radio off center under mirror, ran wires accordingly. Now waiting for it to stop snowing in bend and the water to fill the reservoirs - wait, one begets the other, maybe it's time to rip some lines in the spring snow first and exercise some patience.

Thanks again-

Tags
1990 prostar, installation, speakers, stereo