Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 03-23-2014, 09:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Don't worry about the weather, there's always a chance of daily rain in Florida.

A full week at wakeboard school? You won't be able to walk after that!
I don't care if I can walk after I get back as long as I have a good time! As soon as I land after my week at the boarding school I'm headed to pick up my new boat nothing like driving 20 hours as soon as you get home from a week of vacation!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
What's the New Boat going to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2014, 11:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '02 X-Star. Previous: '98 SportStar, '89 ProStar
I know that I'm late in coming into this thread but I'm just seeing it for the first time. Since you have connections in San Antonio, I would get in touch with Pat McElhinney in Seguin, TX (about 30 minutes outside SA). I did a lesson with him 2-3 years ago and it still helps me tremendously today. He is a great teacher.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxX2 View Post
What's the New Boat going to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Working with action water sports to get an 05 xstar
Old 03-27-2014, 07:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X55, 2013, 7.4L
Quick update from TBS....sitting here with a cup of coffee, getting ready for day 4 of the camp.

It's been a great week already. Weather was a little concerning....M/T looked like rain but didn't. Yesterday was cold (46 degrees for the morning sets), but wetsuits got us through it.

Camp has been all that my son and I wanted so far. We came into this as basically beginners with one season (of bad habits) under our belts. They've had a good approach for us - basics with lots of repetitions then building up on that. For example, doing a whole set (20 minutes) of just wake crossing may seem boring, but learning how to keep a constant edge thru the wake, correct body positioning, etc are all important later.

After 3 days I'm riding completely different. And landed my first "trick" yesterday, a toeside 180. It's simple, but was unfathomable before this week.

The instructors have been great. The equipment is great. They've got an Xstar and Prostar. Actually took a couple of sets behind the Prostar. Sounds funny, but it's a teaching tool with a small wake and way to get some basics down.

Was pretty sore after first two days, but it's going away. Doing 3 full 20 minute sets a day is a lot different then recreational boarding. You go, go, go and are tired after 20 minutes.

So great stuff so far and well worth it. They also have small cable run set up and going to give that a try, just for something different.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:16 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190, Indmar 351, 250HP
Very nice. I would love to head down there for some good old instruction. The wife keeps hinting about wanting to bring the kids to Disney, so this might be something else to do when we are down there. Can't wait to see some pics.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X55, 2013, 7.4L
My 13 yo son and I are back from spending his spring break at The Boarding School. Thought I'd post up a few pics, more of the school and equipment than of us.

In short, we had a great week. Our two main instructors were Travis Moye and Jimmy Trask. Different styles of instructing, but it was nice to have different approaches on different sets.

It's a demanding week. 3 sets a day, each set about 20-25 minutes. And you're going hard during the set. You can go 4 sets on Th/FR if you have the energy. So basically crammed in, for me, almost a whole summer's riding into a week. I'm 50 and work to stay in shape, but ibuprofen was my friend.

My son and I are basically beginners, with one season under our belt. So we advanced a lot. For example, my son was really struggling with just getting outside the wake. In 10 minutes, he was handling that. By the end, he was edging aggressively, with proper form, getting a little air across the wake, riding switch (goofy), and doing surface 180s. And we're now armed with info to advance all summer long. Other riders who were more advanced added whole new tricks or refined tricks they already had in their arsenal.

The weather was a mixed bag for us this week. Kinda cool or grey days. One morning it was 45 degrees and windy. That was pretty tough. But you just go do it and work through it.

I would definitely recommend this place. May even go back sometime to keep progressing. I'm sure there are plenty of other good schools and I don't have any reference points, but in the end, I felt it was good value. Great equipment, knowledgeable and patient instructors, good facilities.

Here's a few pics.
- Equipment room - they have Ronix boards primarily and Jetpilot wetsuits.
- Xstar for most of the riding
- Prostar for skiers. But, depending on your skill, they use the Prostar for some wakeboarding lessons. The smaller wake is less intimidating so you can focus on proper technique without the bigger wake being in your head. I did a few sets this way and if you get outside your ego and go with it, it's helpful. Especially when working on riding switch.
- The System 2.0 cable run they have, with a rail, a few barrels, and a ramp
- Couple pics of my son and I
- Pic or two of Jimmy Trask taking a set. Not often you get to ride in the boat with a pro behind it.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2014, 11:38 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Love the pics, sounds like you guys had a great time!
Instruction from a pro is a huge help for sure. We've been lucky to have Gerry Nunn, Keith Lyman and Josh Palma here on different occasions to coach myself and my friends.
And yes, nothing like being in the boat when a pro takes to the water!

BTW, that Prostar looks awesome with just a simple tan accent color.....LOVE THE MINI TOWER TOO!
Old 03-29-2014, 12:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Man this is the best advertisement for a wakeboarding school. I want to go so bad...

Cool to see you had a great father-son experience.