Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 03-28-2014, 11:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 ProStar 209
78 S&S Beached

We have decided to keep our old boat for another year, and as long as we have it, we are going to fix it up a little bit. The person I bought this boat from used to beach it every time instead of dock it or put it on a hoist. Any ideas how I should go about fixing this? It doesn't leak but looks pretty bad.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 11:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Another pic of the damage caused from years of beaching.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 12:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
It looks from the pictures that it has worn thru the gelcoat exposing the fiberglass and resin. I am no expert but I think it is something you are going to want to address sooner rather tan later otherwise you might start to see some delamination taking place. Unless you are a body/paint person, I think you are going to want to get this into someone and have them re-gelcoat the affected areas then buff them and I would think you would be good to go. The cost will be dependent upon how large the area is and who does the work. If you have a good body shop in your area you may want to have them take a look, otherwise your dealer can address it for you I am sure.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Agreed that you want to take care of this right away. The cheap way to handle this would be to gel it yourself, then put keel guard over it. Doing the gel work is surprisingly simple, but the color matching will drive you nuts until you get good at it. On the bright side, when working on it yourself, if you aren't happy with the outcome, just sand it back down and do it again. With a little practice, I became rather proficient at gel work and have a number of spots on my '77 that I will be working on as soon as it is warm enough. My boat has some similar wear and I will be doing the work this year as well. If you do take this on yourself, find a local fiberglass and gel supply company. If you don't find a local company, I patronize Express Composites. Their pricing and advice are outstanding.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 03-29-2014, 09:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot myself and if it doesn't work, I'll sand it down and take it to someone. I'll look up a few posts on how to do it. There's a lot of ice on the lake, I have a while to work on it.