Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 03-18-2014, 12:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1984 MasterCraft S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaiwake View Post
Just to make sure before I spend the money on the part. Is there anything else I can do to make sure it is the MDC that has blown? Does the problem I describe sound like it is the MDC? If that is the problem then Bruce your deal looks like the best one out there so let me know how to procede.
I does sound like a MMDC box. The best way to proceed would be via phone or email. Yes i can mail it to you, not sure how long it will take. Phone is 810-629-1342 or brucej@actionwater.com
brucej@actionwater.com

1984 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes. Fully restored.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:01 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X Star
Sorry to hijack your thread but I am having a similar problem with my 2005 Xstar. Everything works except the fuel,engine temp,fuel and oil pressure. Based on everyones opinion do you think its my MMDC box. The dealer wants 899.00 I think that is ridiculous. Does anyone know if you can by a box direct from Medallion? I just dont want to spend a ton of money only to have it be something else. I have tried unplugging the box an dit worked a couple of times but not anymore. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! thanks in advance
Old 05-13-2014, 12:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
There is a thread posted the last few weeks On teamtalk. someone is eliminating the MMDC and replacing all the gauges and using engine sensors and perfect pass. Add a GPS speedo and you'll probably still be ahead of the ridiculous price of a new MMDC.

Last edited by 46Chief; 05-13-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:30 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '04 PS209
You could also try calling Medallion. I got one direct from them last year for my '04. Took a few weeks but was a good price and built for my boat.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Prostar 205v 330 LTR
I'm currently looking at the Faria and Teleflex gauge sets to replace mine I've replaced several gauges and senders with no success and it's now looking like the most expensive part of the system the MMDC. I opened up the MMDC box (figured I had nothing to lose) and there is no visible water damage. I can't see the point in spending more money on a system which is clearly flawed a set of reliable gauges should be standard equipment since they protect the most expensive part of the boat so now I just have to decide which ones I like best and spend some more time and money.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post
There is a thread posted the last few weeks On teamtalk. someone is eliminating the MMDC and replacing all the gauges and using engine sensors and perfect pass. Add a GPS speedo and you'll probably still be ahead of the ridiculous price of a new MMDC.
That's me. I'm definitely not the first to do it as I've heard anecdotal reports of people seeing boats, which were originally equipped with the Medallion setup, with aftermarket analog gauges on them, but I haven't found anyone who has documented the process.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=60338

You shouldn't need new senders as the ones Indmar puts on the engine are standard american marine senders.

The problem with the newer boats though is not going to be electrical compatibility with aftermarket analog gauges as the engine technology and senders hasn't really changed much. The problem is going to be making it look pretty. 1) Most have blue and orange and red gauges which aren't as readily available in the aftermarket. You could go with the more typical white or black face but then they won't match your fancy ballast tank gauges and what not. 2) The dash panels are specifically made to house the Medallion gauges with large thick bezels and aluminum dash plates that go in front of the gauges.

If your dash looks like this then I think you're going to have a hard time making things look nice with aftermarket gauges:

In contrast the older, simpler boats usually just have a sheet of plastic for the gauges with holes cut in them and more standard gauge colors. You can drop in aftermarket gauges and still have the normal OE look.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Btw are the ballast gauges on the x series boats controlled via the MDC too? That might be the reason for the different controller vs. boats with just the typical 6 or 8 gauge set. There are definitely no provisions on my boat's mdc to receive signals from ballast tank level senders. That would also obviously complicate an MDC delete.

Tags
gauges, mdc, medallion, mmdc