Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 03-10-2014, 02:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisBear View Post
ended up finding a 2004 8.1 4x4 2500 suburban with only 80k miles for $12K. It towes awesome and is so smooth to drive, I love it. Thanks for the help.
I have the same truck, year and engine. It's great and so much more fun to drive than the 6.0L! I'm just hitting 120k now and will keep it for the foreseeable future.

Let me know if you have any questions as I've done most of the work or just a PM if you wish:
Seat Heaters
Ball Joints
Shocks (auto ride... $$$$)
etc.

Also, pretty normal to use 1 qt of oil in 2500 miles so don't be surprised. Mine has done it since I've owned it at 18,000 miles.

1994 205, LT1
Old 03-12-2014, 01:53 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: X 80
Ill post some pics tomorrow. I am sure I will have questions since I am already trying to add stuff to it. I love the auto ride suspension but want to lift it a little. something 4in or lower. Any recs on a suspension lift that will not mess up the auto ride?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:07 AM
MC Devotee

You might be able to get shock extensions but not positive. Mine just has an extra leaf in the back and then the fronts (I assumed) were cranked up just a bit. Enough to fit 305's in there.

If you lift it, you may lose Autoride with aftermarket shocks. I would recommend the Bilsteins 5100's or nicer. However, once Autoride shocks are removed, it sends a signal to the computer and you get a "service ride suspension" error light. Some have suggested using a diode of some sort to trick the computer that everything is OK but I don't know how effective this is.

The ABS and possibly another component are also tied to the autoride system. So, investigate before pulling the trigger.

I just changed my shocks at an Amazon bargin price of $200/shock! I so wanted to go to Bilsteins but didn't want to deal with a potential error code. Heck, I still got an error due to a faulty "new" shock. I have since replaced that one but required a dealer visit to determine which one was bad.

Anyways, food for thought.

Here's the only pic I could find of our truck on this computer.....
Attached Images

1994 205, LT1
Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
You might be able to get shock extensions but not positive. Mine just has an extra leaf in the back and then the fronts (I assumed) were cranked up just a bit. Enough to fit 305's in there.

If you lift it, you may lose Autoride with aftermarket shocks. I would recommend the Bilsteins 5100's or nicer. However, once Autoride shocks are removed, it sends a signal to the computer and you get a "service ride suspension" error light. Some have suggested using a diode of some sort to trick the computer that everything is OK but I don't know how effective this is.

The ABS and possibly another component are also tied to the autoride system. So, investigate before pulling the trigger.

I just changed my shocks at an Amazon bargin price of $200/shock! I so wanted to go to Bilsteins but didn't want to deal with a potential error code. Heck, I still got an error due to a faulty "new" shock. I have since replaced that one but required a dealer visit to determine which one was bad.

Anyways, food for thought.

Here's the only pic I could find of our truck on this computer.....
Are those booster cables in the water??
Old 03-12-2014, 10:01 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
Are those booster cables in the water??
yes, but weren't hooked up yet......

1994 205, LT1
Old 03-12-2014, 10:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Was a duramax ever an option in these trucks? I know of Duraburb, but a factory option would be sick!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:27 PM
MC Devotee

[quote=Aric'sX15;1022349]Was a duramax ever an option in these trucks? I know of Duraburb, but a factory option would be sick![/QUexpensive

No not offered unfortunately. I do know at least one outfit in Denver area was making them though. Pretty cool but also, pretty expensive!

1994 205, LT1