Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 12-19-2013, 02:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Perfect pass wiring

Last summer when I installed my perfect pass, they sent me the harness for the GPS version instead of the paddle wheel version. The PP worked fine until they sent me my new harness except it didn't show the speed bc it was missing the paddle wheel plug. After installing the correct harness, I am still unable to get a speed reading. I have checked the paddle wheel itself and it looks fine. I have also reseated the plug into the PP computer with no luck. Does anyone know which wire I can check with a volt meter to see if I am getting a signal from the paddle wheel? I know I can call PP but thought I would check here first.

Last edited by CC2MC; 12-19-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 AM
MC Devotee

I checked some of the wires from the paddle wheel and it appears that I am getting a signal from the wheel itself. The problem resides in the MC harness, but I really need to know which wire is what so I know what exactly to test. If anyone has a wiring diagram, that would be helpful.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 197 ProStar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
I checked some of the wires from the paddle wheel and it appears that I am getting a signal from the wheel itself. The problem resides in the MC harness, but I really need to know which wire is what so I know what exactly to test. If anyone has a wiring diagram, that would be helpful.
http://www.perfectpass.com/?q=troubleshooting
Old 02-09-2014, 05:03 PM
MC Devotee

Thanks Bob, but I concluded the PP wiring tested good. It was the MC harness which doesn't have the same colors that seems to have the issue. I may need a service manual for the boat if one is available.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:50 AM
MC Devotee

After speaking with PP this morning, apparently there were 100s of MC boats that had an issue with PP in the years 2002-2003 range. In case anyone else has this issue, PP says that the MC harness should be as follows: Red=12V power, Green=Speed, Brown=Temperature, Grey=ground for temp, and Black is main ground. I am a little confused bc it looks like the harness from PP has their red wire matching up with the brown wire on the MC Harness, while the purple matches up with the red MC harness and their bare ground wire matches to nothing. I have been told I can check the voltage on the green wire, while powered on and it should read between 5-6V when spinning the wheel, but rarely ever reaching more than 6v. Anything above or below could indicate a problem. The wiring does not need to be plugged in to the Master Module, as the power comes from the boat. My thoughts are that there is an issue with the MC harness or the PP harness, but I will not be able to check until later tonight. Below is my quick connect harness behind the foot panel under the dash. Sorry for the blurry shots, but you can get the idea.

After measuring the voltage, I think I may have figured it out. I followed all the wiring back from the paddle wheel to the MC harness and figured out the wiring was as PP had thought. The bad news for me is that it looks like I have too much resistance in the line and will require a new paddle wheel, as mine will not reach the needed voltage, only 4V. Yet, another thing to add to the list.

[url=http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/DoThadoo/media/386052a1-de86-48ff-8231-fdade799306c_zpsb9eecbeb.jpg.html]

Last edited by CC2MC; 02-22-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:02 PM
MC Devotee

I went to buy another paddle wheel at a local dealership and they tested mine and said it tested okay. Now I am back to square one. I may need someone else's help that has the same quick connect harness. According to the PP diagram, the red is 12v, green speed and black I am assuming is ground. Well as seen in the pics above the red goes to the brown, which is temp and that works. Green to green but the paddle wheel black is not connected to anything. Can someone else confirm that their paddle wheel plug only has black red and green going into the control module? Also if you have a 2002-2003, with the quick connect, how do your wires line up? This is probably something so simple but it is frustrating me to no end.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:43 PM
MC Devotee

As an update. I ordered a new paddle wheel and installed bc I determined that my voltage reading was not high enough to get the intended voltage needed for my PP to read the speed. It should be pretty close to 12v when going one quarter turn at a time and around 5v when the wheel is spun. The new wheel tested at 11.9v, so that did the trick. I had the dealer, not MC, test the old paddle wheel and they told me it was okay which turned out not to be the case. I saved a few bucks and got one off eBay for $54, so now I am back in business and can't wait to water test it. All the wiring that appeared to be mismatched was okay.