Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 02-26-2014, 09:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
here's an update. i got my 25ft pontoon out of the water and brought her home for yearly maintenance. my trip is about 70 miles with a mix of downtown and interstate and some poorly maintained 2 lane roads thrown in the mix.

the first things i noticed were that the receiver portion of the hitch is pretty flush against the rear of the LX. putting my locking pin in the usual transverse fashion was tight. no big deal, just never had that little room to work with on any other car. the second thing i found was that the 7 pin round RV style light connector is mounted almost in the passenger rear corner. this was a problem for the pontoon trailer as the light wire wasn't long enough to make the farther reach to the corner of the car. luckily home depot sells a generic 4 pin extension with one female end and one male end. $8 fix. my concern is that when i bring my X30 home that the wiring on the 7 pin RV male connector won't be long enough. the trailer came with a 5 pin flat connector and to look like the cool new trailers, i swapped it out for the 7 pin round style. i guess i'll have to splice in a few inches. no big deal. just a PITA due to a strange placement of the female connector. my guess is that they didn't want it exposed and in order to tuck it under and out of sight, they had to clear the spare tire and that pushed it out to the side.

hooking up was pretty straightforward. i do have to say that i like ford's back up system better. the screen on the ford has a set of 3 colored bars built into the display that are in 1 foot increments. it also has a dashed line pretty much straight over the ball. it makes hooking up a trailer ridiculously easy. the camera on the LX is more a fisheye type with no markings. it works fine, just not as well as the ford.

towing was adequate. the motor was great and i never felt like i lacked power. there is no "tow/haul" mode like there is in the ford but there is a "power" setting which just raises the shift points. i don't think it does any gear braking like the ford system does. i didn't really notice any significant sagging of the rear vs. the ford. around town and on bad roads the pull was identical to the ford. no problems. braking was fine and again no difference from the ford. the pontoon trailer has drums on one axle only vs. the 4 disks on the MC trailers. the highway was the big test and there was a difference. even though the LX is about 500lbs heavier than my old 2wd Expedition it was pushed around more by the trailer at high speed. part of the problem is that pontoons by nature are stern heavy and this makes the tongue weight less than ideal. basically, there is an #800 motor hanging off the rear and in my case 53 gallons of fuel right in front of the motor. all this weight hangs aft or over the rearmost axle. this lets the trailer sway at highway speed. another factor is that the pontoon sits so high up on the trailer that it acts like a giant sail on the highway. in the Expedition, at around 70mph i would get some sway under the right conditions. on the LX, it hit around 65mph. i'm assuming this is due to the shorter wheelbase of the LX. i'm looking forward to towing the X30 as it is a much better towed vehicle than the pontoon. it really helps that it sits down in a cradle and seems better balanced. it should be an easy tow with the LX.

thanks for all the replies. sloop - i don't know off hand about insurance, but i'll ask the boss.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Thanks for the update. Having owned 3 different series Land Cruisers (40, 2x 80, 2x 100) you could say I'm a fan.
Towing has never been the LC strong suit but aside from that they are usually in a league of their own. Congrats on the new ride.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
beautiful lexus lx570. I had a 2006 land cruiser (series 100 4.7l) and it towed my x2 good with the exception of rear suspension getting sucked down and only getting 8 mpg towing at interstate speeds. I ended up adding rear air bags which helped in the towing. I also had a 08 sequoia with the 5.7l engine and it towed great. still only about 12 mpg. however the suspension on the sequoia was much stiffer.

now have a 2012 touareg tdi and it tows like a dream. however the rear does get sucked down a inch or two. does get around 18 mpg on the interstate towing. now the looks you get towing with the touareg are priceless.

Last edited by ttu; 02-26-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X15 MCX with Every option
jaof9, love the Premier Pontoon! A little off topic, but what HP motor are you running on it?
Old 03-06-2014, 06:34 PM
MC Fanatic

225hp Honda. With the PTX package it gets around pretty well.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X15 MCX with Every option
Yup, 225hp will get it done! Great boat!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Just wanted to give an update. I just finished summarizing my 02 X30 at the marina where it is dry stored for the quick ride to the ramp and then the 70mi trip home.

I wanted to add my thoughts on the car as a tow rig. when i was car shopping, i found very little info about towing with an LX. our last few tow rigs have been the short wheel base expeditions with the tow package. the '10 we had before this was a pretty good tow rig. i don't think the LX was really designed with towing in mind. the receiver hitch is one of those that is "hidden" under a plastic fascia cap to make it look flush with the rear bumper. i took the cap off and i don't think i'll put it back on. it really doesn't look like it wants to go on and off a lot. the only downside is that it leaves a visual "hole" on the rear of the car. no big deal. the big problem with the "hidden" hitch is that the receiver part is fairly flush with the car. i didn't think this was a problem until i had to put my locking hitch pin in place. there is very little room to get your fingers in there to install/lock/unlock the hitch pin. some pins may not even fit. another problem is the location of the plug in. i had to lengthen the wires by 1ft just to make the reach to the round female receptacle which is located pretty far outward on the passenger side. this may not be a big deal for the newer trailers with the coiled cables, but for me it was a hassle. i also like the back up camera a lot better on the ford. the lexus is kind of a fish eye view where the ford was more of a traditional camera with a line over the hitch ball to guide you in.

once hitched/connected, the car towed the boat fine. there is no lack of power from the engine and the car never had to hunt for gears. there is not a tow/haul mode like the fords have. there is a "power" button that will hold shift points longer in the lexus. even though the lexus weighs about 500lbs more than our 2wd expedition, it gets pushed around more by the boat. it was a lot worse with the pontoon and not too bad with the MC. the lexus just doesn't have the feel that the ford had. i'd guess this was strictly a wheel base issue with the lexus being shorter than the ford. braking was fine and i never felt i couldn't stop if i had to.

since we don't tow much and we wanted a smaller car the LX is great for us. however, if i were towing a lot, i'd probably rather stick with the ford.