Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-05-2014, 05:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanson View Post
Hmmm, I like the clip-on 12V fan idea, are you using it to replace hot air with cooler air, or just pushing the air around? I.e., by analogy, are you putting a box fan in your bedroom window pointing outward, or just using the box fan to move air around your room?
Blowing directly on the amp is most important, IMO. Get the air moving over the amps which is where the most heat transfer can occur. All the better if you can open the compartment. Even an inch, will help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
bsloop,
how are you powering the Ramsey transmitter? Of the AC outlet on your Honda generator?
Yes, directly from genny. I plug my battery power supply cord direct and a power strip to my cuddy.
Run transmitter, a second fan for amps on the other side; crock pot, led party lights, cell phone chargers, what ever else comes up. Its addictively convenient.

I can see where a little 100-250w 12v inverter could work on days when you didn't want to pack the genny, but like I said, genny is awesome!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
The JL amps get pretty hot in my experience. Pretty sure the wetsounds amps have built in fans, and I never had one overheat.

I know sitting in budmanv24s x1 with his 900/5 amp gets really hot at about half volume for a little while. The clip fans would help for sure if you overheat them
Old 03-05-2014, 08:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
The JL amps get pretty hot in my experience. Pretty sure the wetsounds amps have built in fans, and I never had one overheat.

I know sitting in budmanv24s x1 with his 900/5 amp gets really hot at about half volume for a little while. The clip fans would help for sure if you overheat them
That's not surprising. Even a Class D generating 1/4th the heat will get hot because it has 1/4th the heatsink. And, the JL Audio HD900/5 has dual power supplies in that tiny chassis, so it's really two amplifiers in one. Being strictly regulated, it passes increased current as the supply voltage drops. Lots going on in that compact amplifier.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-9 05
For the person with the 50ft of cable linking boats together- For I-Phone users check this App out .... Tune Mob ..... Links via Bluetooth, you can like up to 7, I-Phones on it. The X-mitting distance is pretty incredible- No cords, Someone at the Dallas boat show showed me this App

Check it out, see what ya think
Old 03-06-2014, 09:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
Tune Mob sounds sweet...I'm definitely going to check that out & see how it works!

So much good obnoxious guy stereo/party information on this thread!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-30 "Surf Edition", LTR, 2079 prop, FAE, straight silencers, 3000# ballast, custom platform, manual surf fin, 1050 Hours and counting
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
Blowing directly on the amp is most important, IMO. Get the air moving over the amps which is where the most heat transfer can occur. All the better if you can open the compartment. Even an inch, will help a lot.

Yes, directly from genny. I plug my battery power supply cord direct and a power strip to my cuddy.
Run transmitter, a second fan for amps on the other side; crock pot, led party lights, cell phone chargers, what ever else comes up. Its addictively convenient.

I can see where a little 100-250w 12v inverter could work on days when you didn't want to pack the genny, but like I said, genny is awesome!
Excellent feedback, thank you. I have 3 amps and it gets toasty in there, so will definitely install a fan this spring. In addition, has anyone installed a vent to allow heat to escape? There is already a vent with tube that goes underfloor for air circulation, so what do you think if I just disconnected that tube to allow direct airflow in/out of the amp area?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanson View Post
Excellent feedback, thank you. I have 3 amps and it gets toasty in there, so will definitely install a fan this spring. In addition, has anyone installed a vent to allow heat to escape? There is already a vent with tube that goes underfloor for air circulation, so what do you think if I just disconnected that tube to allow direct airflow in/out of the amp area?
That should be your bilge intake for fresh air. A safety minded person would say "bad idea"
Question is, how often do you run your blower now? (should is another question).
Devils advocate - Many older boats have cracks in the hose anyway and fresh air will still be drawn into bilge even if disconnected (assuming you don't smell fumes while sitting).
I am not sure without a fan forcing air out there would be enough convection? like a chimney with flue open but not vents under fireplace. You could test it; allow to get warm then remove hose and come back in an hour. I know with my cuddy, opening the hatch makes a difference but that is 15x15 not 3". much depends if there is a breeze blowing.

Maybe remove a front seat cushion if there is enough gap in the bulkhead?
Or take out the glove box liner? Everything that fits in there likely would fit a small container which is easier to dig though anyway