Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-27-2014, 10:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft X-30
6.2 oil Capacity

Guys, I tried a search and couldn't locate this. In looking through all my owners manuals, I cant seem to find the oil capacity of the ilmor 6.2. Is this a "known" answer and I should just know?? I'm guessing 6 qt, but i HATE guessing....
Old 02-28-2014, 09:38 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1984 MasterCraft S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Guys, I tried a search and couldn't locate this. In looking through all my owners manuals, I cant seem to find the oil capacity of the ilmor 6.2. Is this a "known" answer and I should just know?? I'm guessing 6 qt, but i HATE guessing....
5 quarts of 5w-30 full synthetic oil. We use mobil 1 at our dealer ship
Old 02-28-2014, 11:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce-ActionWater View Post
5 quarts of 5w-30 full synthetic oil. We use mobil 1 at our dealer ship
Thanks Bruce.. My dealer also uses mobil 1.. its funny, service guy said get mobil 1 and a good k and n filter or mobil filter and to change every 25 hrs, to avoid warr issues?? I'm a little confused..
Old 02-28-2014, 12:46 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Thanks Bruce.. My dealer also uses mobil 1.. its funny, service guy said get mobil 1 and a good k and n filter or mobil filter and to change every 25 hrs, to avoid warr issues?? I'm a little confused..

Depending how you are using the boat 25-50 hours is good for a oil change. If you running lots of extra weight I would change the oil and filter every 25hrs and trans 50hrs. If your only running stock and maybe extra for surfing then 50hrs for oil and 100hrs for trans. Yes use the Ilmor filter or at least a K&N filter. If you every happen to have a motor issue under warranty the dealer will have to send the oil filter to Ilmor. If its not the Ilmor filter they could not cover the issue.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

bruce, thanks for all the information.. I do find it odd that if i use a k and n filter and have a failure of some kind, that they would not cover, since everyone knows the illmor filter is the cheaper pro series kn with a illmor wrapper, on it... I could be wrong abt tht, but everyone on here, seems to be on the same page..
Old 02-28-2014, 01:50 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
bruce, thanks for all the information.. I do find it odd that if i use a k and n filter and have a failure of some kind, that they would not cover, since everyone knows the illmor filter is the cheaper pro series kn with a illmor wrapper, on it... I could be wrong abt tht, but everyone on here, seems to be on the same page..

I agree, we started off using non Ilmor filters. We have since started using them when we do oil changes. The couple dollar difference isn't worth the chance of them not covering an issue. Just my 2 cents