Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2014, 12:51 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Maristar 200 VRS
Boat Ramp Bloopers

A few years ago I had my vdrive daycruiser parked at the launch ramp dock. I was about to run up the ramp to retrieve my rig when I saw a wakeboard boat packed with people coming up to the dock at 8-10mph. I decided to stick around to see what happened.
There was a soccer mom at the helm who looked very unsure of herself, and a soccer dad in the open bow with his car keys in his hand. So mom pulls up to the dock then slams the boat into reverse, while dad jumps from the bow to the dock... and he comes up a few feet short and winds up in the water.
So I run over to help him up onto the dock. Once I get the soaking-wet and embarrassed soccer dad up onto the dock, I notice soccer mom is now standing in the open bow, yelling to dad to confirm that he is OK. Then I notice that soccer mom left the helm with the boat still in reverse and the wheel pegged starboard, and their boat was heading backwards right towards the stern of my boat. So I scream like mad at soccer mom but she is still trying to get dad's attention so she doesn't hear me. So I jump into my boat and do my best at fending off their boat while not putting myself in danger. Finally soccer mom gets back to the helm, throws it in forward and heads away, with nothing but a half-hearted "sorry!" Later on when I was wiping my boat down so noticed a quarter-sized ding in the gel coat on the transom... I was so effin pissed. I won't say that all women are bad boat drivers, but that ***** had no business driving a boat!!
Old 02-22-2014, 12:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Shouldn't be too tough to figure out how much flotation is needed to float the trailer. That would be hilarious.

Yup. Summer Sunday early afternoon, crowded ramp, just drive straight down and into the water!! Motor off down the lake!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:13 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Yup. Summer Sunday early afternoon, crowded ramp, just drive straight down and into the water!! Motor off down the lake!
Two years ago I almost bought a DUKW from the St. Paul Water Dept. They had one since after the war and hadn't used it in quite a while. They didn't want the liability of selling it so they were going to get rid of it for the scrap price. I was literally one day away from getting it for $800. Unfortunately someone must have looked on eBay and found they were selling for $20,000. It was fully operational and only needed a brake job.

SPECIAL ST205/75R15 LRC KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 02-22-2014, 01:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Well that sucks. There is a whole generation of people now who for the most part don't have any idea what a DUKW is. The situation is ripe for comedic employment!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:44 PM
MC Master Poster

You know it. Have ridden them a number of time at Wisconsin Dells. There are a few other places that use them for tours as well.

SPECIAL ST205/75R15 LRC KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
$800? Really? That would have been the score of a lifetime....plus it was fully operational as well? Hell, just for the looks on people's faces as you drove into the water and floated away would make it worth it....missed opportunity
Old 02-22-2014, 02:51 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Nothing yet
If I'm retelling someone else's story, my apologies.

Last summer at Lake Powell, I was waiting to pull my in-laws boat out at Bullfrog on a very crowded Sunday afternoon. Someone decided that they didn't want to wait and use the ramp, so they decided to take their boat out at a nearby beach.

They got their watercraft on the trailer and began to pull out, but their old Ford Exploder did just that - caught fire. It was an amazingly large pillar of black smoke and huge flames. I was told that no one was hurt. But it was an amazing sight.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:55 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Ford on fire, who'da thunk it, eh Pete?
Old 02-22-2014, 02:56 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Nothing yet
On a lighter note, here's a personal story:
We had a Bayliner when I was a kid and through high school. It wasn't much, but it floated. But as with all I/O, it had one plug in the stern.

The first time I borrowed my in-laws Mastercraft, I put in the plug and put the boat in the water. As my wife and I were pulling away from the ramp, I put the throttle down and the boat was very sluggish.

Wisely, we decided to go back to the ramp to see what the issue was. We pulled the boat out and saw all of the water coming out from the center plug, of which I had no idea.

That is why my wife and I confidentially call her parents boat "two plugs".
Old 02-22-2014, 02:57 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristarboarder View Post
$800? Really? That would have been the score of a lifetime....plus it was fully operational as well? Hell, just for the looks on people's faces as you drove into the water and floated away would make it worth it....missed opportunity
Would have been fun but I think I would have had to sell it for that much profit.