Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 02-18-2014, 03:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X30, 6.0L, Gen2
2014 X30 Stock Stereo Set Up

Our new X30 has arrived at our local dealer and we are now starting to think about getting it ready for the spring/summer. When we ordered the boat we ordered two tower speakers instead of 4 (only option I didn't pick at the time to save some $$$). Now we are thinking about ordering the other two through the dealer (they are offering a great deal). I have an extra JL amp at home but dont know what the stock set up is for the high powered stereo and our new X30 is burried in the yard at our local dealer. Does any one know what the stock set up is for the high powered stereo (amps, and what they run).

In addition, can anyone make any suggestions on what I can tweak with the stock amps, or add another amp to my stock system to maximize the stock speakers. I blew my wad on the boat so upgrading to anything aftermarket is not an option, but tweaking the factory system would be nice if I can get more out of it. The sales guys at the local dealer are outstanding but this is not their field of expertise and I know there is a lot of knowledge on this forum.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X-15...gone, 2014 X-46 Gen2+
Location: middle of Germany, center of Europe (the old world)
David from Earmark will evetually chip in later...

supposedly the tower speakers in the stock setup are underpowered anyways

from my point there are basically two (JL) amp choices, either a MHD600/4 each speaker wired on their own (150W RMS each), or a MHD 750/1 all 4 speakers wired parallel/inline getting 750W Mono, which is okay for tower speakers. I've used the MHD600/4 on my 4 retrofitted JL tower speakers.

for upgrading the system inside the boat, you could go with the MHD 900/5 or if you want more the MHD600/4 plus the MHD750/1 for the subwoofer

btw when adding the other two tower speakers think about walkthrough headroom first, I'll go with just two speakers on my next boat which is fine for surfing, imo the JL's are not loud enough for wakeboarding anyways no matter if 2 or 4 speakers
Old 02-18-2014, 04:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
here is my $0.02:

Buy a 900/5, my buddy did this for his X15 (which is the same set up as your boat speaker wise), flat out night and day difference...just do it!

Towers, my guess is your boat came with 1 600/6 and an 200/2 for the sub. Take the new 600/6 in your boat already and run the towers with it.

Problem solved...
Old 02-18-2014, 04:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Stefan,
David retired from Earmark last year. Odin at Earmark is the person to speak with now and he knows the marine audio business as well as anyone.

Colbray,
The factory system is under-powered as compared to the potential of the existing JL Audio speakers...including subwoofer. Without adding more amplifiers/amplifier channels it will be hard to make a difference in the factory system. You can fine tune by tweaking gains and crossover settings but that won't take you very far. Those tweaks will have more impact once you have more power. The biggest difference will be to bridge eight channels into four channels to the four tower speakers using the OEM amplifier series. Or you can add a JL Audio HD750/1 dedicated to the four tower speakers. In either case you will be adding at least one amplifier and supplementing the primary DC power cabling.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X30, 6.0L, Gen2
Thank you to all of you. This is not something I have any knowledge of. Sounds like I need to buy a new amp and give all the speakers more juice. Thanks again!!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
here is my $0.02:

Buy a 900/5, my buddy did this for his X15 (which is the same set up as your boat speaker wise), flat out night and day difference...just do it!

Towers, my guess is your boat came with 1 600/6 and an 200/2 for the sub. Take the new 600/6 in your boat already and run the towers with it.

Problem solved...

^^^ There's another good option. The existing combined JL 600/6 and 200/2 could comprise the eight channels to drive the four tower speakers. And the new JL HD900/5 could drive the four in-boat 7.7s plus the subwoofer. The HD900/5 will really wake up the in-boat speakers, although the 500 watts is mighty rich for a single 10-inch infinite baffle sub. That amplifier can easily drive two 10-inch IB subs. The good news is that with a solid plan you can use 100% of what you have and simply add.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X-15...gone, 2014 X-46 Gen2+
Location: middle of Germany, center of Europe (the old world)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
Stefan,

David retired from Earmark last year. Odin at Earmark is the person to speak with now and he knows the marine audio business as well as anyone.

Sorry about that, did recon your user name change but could not make sense of it...
Old 02-20-2014, 07:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Sorry about that, did recon your user name change but could not make sense of it...
No problem. I understand that David is now a professional bum and has become quite proficient at it.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006. Mastercraft maristar
my 2006 came with one big amp and same two tower speakers., end of last summer i put a new JL amp just for the tower speakers and divided up the other amp to redistribute the power. Wow,, it rocks just fine for my family!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X30
I have the same boat and setup as colbray. Might try the same thing. I also have an old w6 sub that I was thinking if switching in. Anyone have any advice on this?