Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 02-18-2014, 01:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-45
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
You're not kidding. I seriously wanted a diesel last year when I bought the new truck. But an 8k option, and fuel being .26 a liter more, hard to justify the extra cost.
Yup - very hard to justify the diesel engine with trucks today. Unless you tow a ton (like already mentioned) or you just WANT a diesel. Nothing wrong with that....
Old 02-18-2014, 02:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Diesels are like potato chips you JUST can't have one... That torque is addictive...
Old 02-18-2014, 02:32 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest-X45 View Post
Yup - very hard to justify the diesel engine with trucks today. Unless you tow a ton (like already mentioned) or you just WANT a diesel. Nothing wrong with that....
I really wanted one. Just couldn't justify the cost to run it.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 87 PS190, powerslot
Yeah, if I didn't drive a pretty hefty number of miles a year, and tow a fair bit, it would be difficult to justify. Of course, when the rig is paid for... you can spend a lot in fuel and still come out on the plus side of things...
Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X55 - 6.2L
Follow-up

I wanted to follow up with everyone on this thread that I started back in October. Based on a lot of good input from this group, I went out and drove the new Diesel Denali HD, an F250 Powerstroke Platinum and then I drove a Ram 2500...

I never saw it coming, but I picked the Ram. Ordered and received a 2014 Ram 2500 Limited 4x4 short box Cummins.

Here's the rational/breakdown. Pro's: The Ram's ride comfort with the coil spring rear end and the amenities on the inside of the truck are the items that pushed it over the edge for me. The Uconnect infotainment system is very well done, better than the new GM offering in the just redesigned platform. The quality of the leather on the inside, keyless go (push button start), rain sensing wipers, highly configurable instrument cluster all pushed it to the front of the selection list.

The GM won out on exterior styling (personal opinion) and power train. The Cummins is very capable and tows the boat amazingly well. The driveline is a little "clunky" on the Ram but definitely works. The Denali edged out though on the power train - The Allison seems to apply the power from the Duramax a little more effectively. Ford was very nice, but for styling reasons (again, personal preference) it fell to the bottom of the list. Very capable platform, however it ended up 3 on the list.

On the Diesel vs. Gas, I decided that too much truck was just about right. Diesel refills have not been an issue with cleanliness, noise is virtually nonexistent unless I'm going through a drive through. There is no black smoke - Diesel Exhaust Fluid works - and it's really not using that much. It's almost whisper quiet on the inside. Now I know how close to the edge of the limits the 1/2 ton was with the X55. Won't go back to a 1/2 as long as I have the 55.

In short, feel like I made the right decision at the moment. Just put 2k miles on and have pulled the boat and launched quite a few times this year. Mileage, rough guess is about 19 mostly highway-type, and dropping to about 13 when pulling the boat on mostly highway.

Thanks for all the input, we're definitely enjoying the combination now that summer as finally arrived in southwest Michigan!!!
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2014, 11:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Current: '03 X2 w/ MCX. Former: '91 Prostar
I'm biased, but great choice! Enjoy your new truck.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I am biased too ... would have gone the same route but with a long bed. Excellent choice and nice review / comparison between the three.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Not biased, but absolutely dont blame you based on the ride and their new interiors. Great choice.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
Not sure what we are going to say that you don't already know.
The 1500 is at the upper end but doable with the load you have and purposes you ask of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
OK, F it, get the Dmax.

One word - Control. Stepping to the 2500 platform delivers a heavier duty frame you will appreciate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5guy View Post
Ordered and received a 2014 Ram 2500 Limited 4x4 short box Cummins.

Now I know how close to the edge of the limits the 1/2 ton was with the X55. Won't go back to a 1/2 as long as I have the 55.

Thanks for all the input, we're definitely enjoying the combination now that summer as finally arrived in southwest Michigan!!!
Congrats on the purchase, combo looks good
Glad you made the move. This past weekend we had some boat friends find out what happens when the limits are pushed. 22' deck boat being pulled by a Tahoe SUV ended up in the median. They blamed it on a gust of wind but winds were only gusting to mid 20's. Fact is, they got owned with a light, short wheelbase.
(your picture is a much happier one. Hope it stays that way!)
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2014, 11:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
22 ft deck boat isnt exactly pushing the limits of a tahoe, i tow my xstar all the time and it's fine. based on the fact that the trailer isnt under the boat, i'd blame lack of tow straps and proper tie downs.