Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 02-15-2014, 12:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote from bsloop: "If you have constant shore power, I would do the cheaper series and select "ALL".

Better explain that one so people don't draw the wrong conclusion. If you bring the boat in with a discharged 500 A/H stereo bank, that could easily and initially represent a demand of 25+ amps. If the two banks are combined in the 'All' position, then the starting battery would be given a massive over-charge. The only protection would be the difference in bank impedance and would be minimal protection from damage. That's exactly how people get swelled batteries. Also, when you combine two banks at a very different capacity and charge level they violently equalize their charge. That's not healthy for either bank.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
I'm only going to shore charge the stereo bank...the only time I had to shore charge in the previous 7 years was when after a day/evening of debauchery I left the heater running as I moved the party inside...oops!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Bsloop, I could not find the exact model of the Ramsey FM transmitter on their site (maybe they updated their product line or something)...I did see a few that say they are "export only" because they exceed the allowable power output. I have facilities in other countries I could have this shipped to, then shipped back here. Any suggestions on what I need there?
Old 03-05-2014, 02:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Unit is still out there Ramsey FM100B. I was wrong, it is a 25mW, non-export unit.
I purchased from same builder - http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAMSEY-FM100...item4ad05bcd9b

and bought the external antenna. Message him, good guy.

Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of an exact Chinese unit. Just got off the phone with the builder, he said he tested a couple higher output import units and said they were very "noisy" affecting other electronics.
There is an external amp that will bump the power and range for another $150. I may consider it???
Old 03-05-2014, 02:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Awesome...that is the one I saw on their website...way worth it to have somebody else who knows what they are doing put it together!

What kind of range do you think you see on this? 100 yards?

How does it hold up in a boat environment? I'm really wondering if I just put it in once in a while when I'm using it for boat trips or 4th of july type weekends? Since we do a lot of wakeboarding and surfing, just don't want to trash it if might be a little delicate.

Other than that, should be on order shortly!

oh, btw...I assume the Honda 2K generator is the inverter model that is safer for computers and electronics?
Old 03-05-2014, 03:20 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-30 "Surf Edition", LTR, 2079 prop, FAE, straight silencers, 3000# ballast, custom platform, manual surf fin, 1050 Hours and counting
Admittedly did not read every response on this thread, but wanted to mention that you also need to consider COOLING. Most amps have built-in high-temp protection, and my Rockford Fosgate amps occasionally take a break from the action (esp the sub amp as it cranks out the bass). Haven't done it yet but considering either a passive vent or an active fan, shouldn't require much.

My Tige' buddies usually lift their front seats to improve air flow. No. Just no.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Honestly I've never had my amps just shut down on me (knock on wood), but the new JL HD amps are bulletproof and way more efficient than the old school stuff. The only real issue I've had is battery life...that's why I went with two Lifeline 8D's.

As far as lifting the seats when the system is cranked up, popping up the seats creates a much louder effect...unfortunately in these small wakeboard boats there is ZERO spot to put a properly ported box that radiates into the cabin area. I'm easily impressed, but the summation of the system is just simply bass chest compressing awesomeness...(I think that's a word).
Old 03-05-2014, 04:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Awesome...that is the one I saw on their website...way worth it to have somebody else who knows what they are doing put it together!

What kind of range do you think you see on this? 100 yards?

How does it hold up in a boat environment? I'm really wondering if I just put it in once in a while when I'm using it for boat trips or 4th of july type weekends? Since we do a lot of wakeboarding and surfing, just don't want to trash it if might be a little delicate.

Other than that, should be on order shortly!

oh, btw...I assume the Honda 2K generator is the inverter model that is safer for computers and electronics?
200'-300' range for good signal. Cruisers will block the signal since it is low to the water, so try not to get boxed in.
Much is dependent on the Receiver. Boats typically have no or poor antenna which hurts. I can pickup the signal 1/4 mile from my house deck on a small hill with the truck radio.
I have had no problem with it knocking around my cuddy cabin 4 years now. Apparently it can be sensitive to static electricity so avoid attaching/detaching external antenna while powered.
Yes, Honda 2000i, inverter model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanson View Post
Admittedly did not read every response on this thread, but wanted to mention that you also need to consider COOLING. Most amps have built-in high-temp protection, and my Rockford Fosgate amps occasionally take a break from the action (esp the sub amp as it cranks out the bass). Haven't done it yet but considering either a passive vent or an active fan, shouldn't require much.

My Tige' buddies usually lift their front seats to improve air flow. No. Just no.
I have found a small clip on 12v fan from the auto parts store to be very effective at keeping amps playing all day in 100+ temps without thermal shut down. Fresh air supply is even better.
Also the fan draws less power than the inefficiency of a hot amp.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-30 "Surf Edition", LTR, 2079 prop, FAE, straight silencers, 3000# ballast, custom platform, manual surf fin, 1050 Hours and counting
Hmmm, I like the clip-on 12V fan idea, are you using it to replace hot air with cooler air, or just pushing the air around? I.e., by analogy, are you putting a box fan in your bedroom window pointing outward, or just using the box fan to move air around your room?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

bsloop,
how are you powering the Ramsey transmitter? Of the AC outlet on your Honda generator?