Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-16-2014, 09:27 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
How much to "fix" if selling my boat?

We bought our '93 Maristar 225 last year in the spring. I grew up around boats but my wife never had so I didn't want to spend a bunch and then have her not like it. Lucky for me she loves going out on the boat. So this year I've been debating on either selling/trading in my boat for something about 10 years newer or just fixing up mine and using it a couple more years. My debate really comes from how much money is worth putting in my boat versus upgrading to a boat that has the upgrades I'm going to install. I know regardless that I'm putting a new rub rail on my boat and making new dash panels. Aside from that I'm looking at star gazer wake perfect pass, a joystick tower w/ racks, swim platform pad, and a serious buff/compound/wax job. Just looking for some opinions from some of you who may have went through a similar scenario and how you feel about the choice you made. Realistically, if I put the rub rail and new dash panels on the boat I can probably come out about even or a little ahead of what I owe because I think I need like 10K to pay off. Looking at possibly moving up to a 01-04 X9 or some kind of 205v hull in the 20-30k range.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 mastecraft maristar 225
personally I would keep what you have and customize it to your needs. 10 years newer will cost alot more money. I have the same boat but in a vdrive version. I love how much room the vdrive gives me.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:17 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
I'd probably hold off on spending the money on PP if you are going to sell it. I don't think it will net you much more in the sale. I'm not sure what you mean by joystick tower. Is that and extended pylon?? If so I say buy it and if you move to an X9 take it with you or sell it separate from the maristar. The rest of the improvements (compound and buff, swim pad, dash) will net you more on resale IMO.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Joystick is the brand. It's an actual tower. I've got a skylon extended pylon right now.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Corey View Post
Joystick is the brand. It's an actual tower. I've got a skylon extended pylon right now.
I'm not familiar with them but I will google it. But I would not spend the money on a tower and racks. I really don't think you will get your money back. If you will keep it for a few years then spend the money. It will be worth it for your own use.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:47 AM

Quick search showed an expired listing on ebay for $699. If you can buy one for that kind of money I will change my mind. (If you do buy one and want to sell the extended pylon keep me in mind)

Old 02-16-2014, 10:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Yeah you buy from them direct. They sell for 800 in the summer and 700 during off season. All USA made too. If I buy a tower, the skylon pole will be put on here first for sure.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:20 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I'm been buying and selling boats in Michigan since I was 12 (between 12 - 18 I did this with my father). The last 4 boats I've owned have all been MasterCrafts and they have been by far the easiest boats to sell. You can move up the ladder with a series of wise MasterCraft purchases but you have to be smart about it. These are the rules I've used.....

Keep the boat as stock as possible - I've gone to great lengths to only upgrade the boat so that it looks like it came from the factory that way. People paying top dollar for these boats want a boat that looks factory. Anything less will in most cases detract from the sale price. If you add that tower there will be a good chance it won't be someone else's choice and you'll narrow your market. Do this only if you plan to keep the boat.

Clean, Clean, Clean - This is one area that people just baffle me in. They'll put their boat up for sale but not take the time to clean it before asking top dollar for it. They always end up leaving money on the table. Wet sanding and buffing to perfection won't cost much and will pay big benefits based on cost. That new rub rail if replaced with OEM type material will do the same. Same goes with the dash panel, detailing the engine, trailer and replacing the platform pad as long as they look like they came from the factory that way. All great affordable upgrades that will pay you back.

Avoid low ROI upgrades - Unless you plan on keeping the boat for a couple more years that PP is not going to bring you anymore money, at least not the kind that you'll put into it. Same with the tower. Let's face it each of those upgrades will end up costing 1/10 of the value of the boat a piece (if not more). It might help you sell it faster..... maybe. Do it only if you're doing it for yourself or plan to take it out before the sale.

Having you're perfect boat doesn't necessarily mean having a new or newer boat. I love the boat I have now but I sometimes miss a couple of the other boats I've owned and have on more than one occasion considered selling only to purchase one similar to one I'd previously owned. All boats have quirks and you'll need to do a lot of research before jumping into another previously owned boat (consider the vinyl issues of the early 2000 year boats as an example). It sounds like you could make this one something that would work real well for you but if you plan to sell in the next year or two be careful not to sink so much money into it that you most likely won't get it back.....

My 2 cents
Old 02-16-2014, 11:26 AM
MC Fanatic

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:07 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Great advice from btburner and JohnE - what do you want out of the new boat - what is your current boat lacking.

the Maristar 225 is a very nice boat - Are you thinking get something new - If everything is structurally sound - you could do a lot for a lot less than $20-30K - but then that would be a plan for keeping your boat long term.

If you do plan to keep your boat - I would just start looking for parts that are harder to locate to have them on hand.

If your thinking to buy new just to have newer - newness wears off quickly and then you'll be 10-20K lighter just my .02