Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 02-11-2014, 10:21 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
I would use the pass-thru if I was using two amplifiers in different bandwidths or different zones. Just as Jim said, these are buffered outputs on the pass-thrus so there is no loss of voltage because they have their own output OP amp.
However, if using two identical amplifiers to drive symmetrical tower speakers or two identical subwoofers, then I would externally divide the RCAs and not use the pass-thrus. Because the pass-thru is buffered, the gain setting on my two amplifiers would be different. Nothing technically wrong with that other than it makes me uncomfortable.

Knowing that each of the amps was to be used for one channel would have been helpful.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
The AudioControl line driver unit only has 6 input and 6 output channels. This forces me to choose which channels get the voltage increase from line driver because I have 8 channels total (front , rear, tower and sub). I was going to use two of the boosted channels for each of the JL M6450 amps for 6 inboat speakers, (2 RCA "Y" splitters used on each amp) The third and final boosted channel for an Arc KS300.2 amp on the tower speakers (no "Y" splitters on this amp). This would leave me with a single subwoofer not getting line voltage boost, and using the pass-thru option for the three sub amps ( HD750/1 and 2x HD1200/1).
Is this the correct usage of this line driver in my install? My assumption is that the subs wont benefit as much from the higher dynamic range as the full range speakers- correct?
Old 07-10-2014, 01:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
A subwoofer is about the first place I hear a difference in more line voltage. There are no larger voltage swings than those on the sub frequencies. So I would say it's just as important.
The built-in OP amps on the two amplifier pass-thru outputs will not deliver the same voltage as the Audio Control line driver even if those amplifiers are driven by the line driver.
The Audio Control line driver has so much voltage that properly set amplifier gains rarely would get to 25% of the way up. You can split the line driver outputs and still have good voltage.
Audio Control also has a two-channel line driver.
It's always best to place the line driver closest to its input source and farthest from its output termination. Quality RCAs can add up.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:26 PM
MC Fanatic

How much of a difference will the increased voltage make? I guess what I am asking is, " do you think it is worth it?" Will the difference be night and day or 5% difference.
Line driving the sub amps individually - what will the difference in output be?

I wanted to complete this upgrade this weekend, but wont be able to if I need to order a second line driver.

Last edited by craig3972; 07-10-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig3972 View Post
How much of a difference will the increased voltage make? I guess what I am asking is, " do you think it is worth it?" Will the difference be night and day or 5% difference.
Line driving the sub amps - what will the difference be?
It would make zero difference in maximum volume because you have gain controls to offset any difference.
Using higher gain takes the impetus off the subsequent gain stage and improves the noise floor.
Higher gain means that you can capture and reproduce the entire dynamic range without any compression. I hear it as greater attack, contrast and clarity. Cleaner and faster sounding....especially as the original recording is better.
Much of this will depend on the music content you use, and how effectively you tune your system.
Higher voltage can facilitate but it can't repair.
Past a point there is no improvement. If you have a true unclipped 5 volts to the input of every amplifier I think that is plenty. Returns are probably diminishing past that point.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks David!
I think the best thing to do is a sample test, and if I like the results a proper install.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:52 AM
MC Fanatic

I went to do the installation of the line driver, but before I started I checked where the gains were set. All of the midrange amps were set at 20% or less gain on the dial pot. The subwoofer amps were slightly higher but none over 50% position. It seemed logical to me that if the HU was only delivering 2V to the preouts and I installed the line driver to boost it to 5V, I wouldn't be able to turn the gain down low enough to match.
On the M6450's amps this 20% setting was after using RCA splitters.
On the Arc KS300.2 for the Bullet hollow point tower speakers the gain setting is at 10 to 15% , seems very low for a high output speaker. ( high pass selected, bass boost turned up a bit)

confused??