Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-05-2014, 09:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
ventless fireplace logs

well since almost all of us are in a deep cold what does anyone know about ventless fire place logs. I currently have a gas fireplace with a flu.

thinking about upgrading the logs to ventless for more heat. any input?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:00 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
well since almost all of us are in a deep cold what does anyone know about ventless fire place logs. I currently have a gas fireplace with a flu.

thinking about upgrading the logs to ventless for more heat. any input?
I don't think they put out more heat and they are dangerous.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Ventless puts a huge amount of moisture into your home. Safety wise they have low oxygen cut-off, so I don't think that's a huge deal anymore. But I wouldn't (and didn't) buy them.

We installed a nice sealed unit with outside venting. It doesn't suck air from the house (it brings in outside air for combustion and vents externally through a single double-walled vent), puts out a huge amount of heat, and keeps the house sealed.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:16 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
We have had ventless for years. Like you, we have a flu and on the recommendation of the plumber who hooked up the fireplace, we leave it open slightly. The advantage of more heat is nice at the cost of looking slightly less realistic than vented logs. I have never encountered any issues with moisture. YMMV.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

IF you leave a flue open, it's no longer ventless
Old 02-06-2014, 12:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Vented vs. Ventless

How does a ventless system work. It seems like the product of combustion would be released into your home. I converted to vented logs this past year and I even have problems from time to time when the flu is cold or there is a backdraft.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I don't think they put out more heat and they are dangerous.
I had no fireplace in my house or the lake house so I installed ventless logs in both over ten years ago. Gas logs are no more dangerous than a wood burning fireplace (less IMO) and 100% of the heat from ventless logs goes into the house. I plan to get a second set of gas logs for the lake house when the price comes down in the spring.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
Just remodeled and changed to ventless fireplace.

I thought I would not like it......but it puts out about 3x the heat of the vented variety and; the fakey logs are pretty convincing.

Texans are probably not the most knowledgeable fireplace consultants, we use them mainly for decoration.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
There is no such thing, as "ventless." It is just venting in a different way.

In an existing fireplace (masonary/metal) it'll vent past a closed leaky damper. In Eastie's case, plumber suggest leaving damper slightly open. Hello, vented!

In loosely built homes, vented thru the cracks, windows,ceilings, existing duct, doors, etc. Hello, vented! You tighten up these areas, you could have moisture related issues. (health/home repair) It is well documented, in the hvac world.

An old school masonary/metal woodburning fireplace, burning oak, produces about 100,000 btuh of heat. The chimney, is designed for that much heat vented material/burnt fuel. A set of 20" gas logs, used in that same fireplace, produces about 40,000 buth of heat. With flue open, you will feel cold air, fall out the fireplace. You have to reduce the damper opening, to reduce the draftiness. (Most gas log sets, include a clamp thingie, to make this adjustment.)

NOTE: btuh difference. Efficiency is actually about the same. About 50% So oak, puts out twice the heat, but also needs about twice the fresh make-up air, to function. Not talking about enclosed gas fireplace/stove system, that's a different thing.

Been awhile, since I sold any gas hearth systems, or log sets.

My company policy, is we never recommend or install ventless gas logs.

Everything has a trade off.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
thank you everyone for the input. i guess that is why they are illegal in a few states.