Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-04-2014, 07:23 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
Might want to look into a pellet stove.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
skps190, if you have any questions about the Hardy, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number so we can discuss over the phone.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

If you get a pellet stove you have to buy the pellets. Your going to spend a $100 if not more a month on pellets. Wood is free plus it warms you when you cut it, split it, stack it and burn it. What other product can do that?
Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraft1995 View Post
If you get a pellet stove you have to buy the pellets. Your going to spend a $100 if not more a month on pellets. Wood is free plus it warms you when you cut it, split it, stack it and burn it. What other product can do that?
whiskey
Old 02-04-2014, 12:37 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
I've had this argument with other people. Wood isn't free. It takes a lot of time to cut, season, and stack wood. And once that is complete it has a real dollar value. Around here it is $200 - $300/ cord. I know a guy who used to go through 12 cord per year on a wood boiler. If he placed and ad for $200/ cord picked up it would have been gone in a week. Between that and the insane amount he paid for the unit plus install, he'd have had about a 20 year return on investment.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

I wouldn't buy wood ever nor would I sell it. For me it is 100% free. I just keep my ears open for wood as do my friends for me. I've saved thousands of dollars cutting my own wood the last 15 years and I still have all my fingers and toe's.

You don't put a price on things you do for your family. I considerate it hobby for me.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76S&S View Post
An advantage of the outdoor wood heater "Hardy" is that it is on a thermostat just like the house is. The heater itself, keeps the water at a consistent temp. When the water is hot, the heater is not burning the wood; when the water cools down, a dampner opens and a fan forces air into the wood chamber to get the fire going.

There is a seperate thermostat installed in my home that controls the combination of the Hardy along with the blower on my central furnace.
My brother just installed a system that operates just like this at his cabin. Keeps the place toasty, floor warm, and the water hot. He has all the free (minus the labor) wood of 170+ acres so it works out nice. He used to heat with electric and the bills were high, so he went this route. So far so good. I can't remember what brand it is, I'll look next time I'm down there.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Old 02-04-2014, 02:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1976 master craft stars and stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210 View Post
Might want to look into a pellet stove.
Do not go pellet not as much heat as they say. I only have wood burning the stove in my house and I'm in northern ontario Canada and my buddy has a pellet stove and had to run baseboards to keep up with the cold weather. I burn from 12-14 face cross a year. Nice solid heat but don't plan on any long trips away from home like 2 days with no heatand problems start like water lines.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I've had this argument with other people. Wood isn't free. It takes a lot of time to cut, season, and stack wood. And once that is complete it has a real dollar value. Around here it is $200 - $300/ cord. I know a guy who used to go through 12 cord per year on a wood boiler. If he placed and ad for $200/ cord picked up it would have been gone in a week. Between that and the insane amount he paid for the unit plus install, he'd have had about a 20 year return on investment.
We live on just under 80 acres and trees die faster than I can cut them. For us, the outdoor wood boiler has been a huge savings.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 02-05-2014, 12:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: x-30
Wood Stove/Furnace

I think I've eliminated a pellet stove. Even though I can easily vent it out of the house I'm not sure I'd be able to fully utilize the heat that's being generated. I envisioned making a hood to go over the stove and then ducting it into my cold air return but I haven't seen enough proof that I'll be able to maximize the propane savings that way.

I brought up the idea to my wife of replacing our wood burning fireplace with a stove or insert with a blower and that was nixed almost immediately. We occasionally roast marshmallows over the fires in out fireplace now and she's not about to give that up. I have a hard time disagreeing only because I love a good open fire, hard to beat the heat/crackling/ambiance.

We have tons of wood and I actually like cutting/splitting and stacking it. I would think if I'm using it as my primary heat source I'd appreciate it even more.

My plan would be if we go out of town for a weekend or more then when the wood would burn out our furnace would kick on and maintain a minimum temp.