Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 01-30-2014, 02:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
The older towers have a lower height than the new ones. I believe a 2008 should have the corner braces as well - those work really well to stiffen the tower laterally. MC must have felt that the 04-06 towers didnt need corner braces because of the larger dia tube. Mine wiggles, with 4 wakeboards and the speakers on it in rough water in can get going pretty good- usually I take the boards down when it get s like that.
I hit my head sometimes on the exsisting HP770 in the stock location. I wanted to mount the second set on the outboard side of the original to keep a corridor for my big head to pass thru, but the large raduis bend in the tube made it difficult to position correctly, so like all things in life that are hard I just gave up and sold the speakers.

bsloop - the goal is to be more like you! seriously, I have the big stereo amongst our friends and i just want it to sound bigger and louder. we usually only have about 5-8 boats rafting together at any given time so a patio boat wouldnt fill up. I dont even turn the stereo on when boarding, its too noisy with wind and motor sound. It is a party stereo. I have a couple of 13W6's (sealed) in the lockers, but with no vent into the cabin space a lot of the sound energy is lost into vibration. I just cant bring myself to cut vent holes in the boat. I run 150wrms each to all 6 inboats (Earmark idea) and that works awesome. I have 2 M10w5 direct radiating in sealed boxes, love the sound from those but only 10's. every year at this time get the itch to change so I start searching for ways to improve it.
Name:  ghost floatilla.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  69.3 KB
This is all you get in western Canada.

Last edited by craig3972; 01-30-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
you have 2 13w6s?????? holy crap. there was a thread a while ago that someone put the heater vents where the subs were to be hidden vents. ill try and dig up the picture.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
craig,
Too bad you didn't mention the tower mounting challenge. There is a technique to use tower-specific collars on the radiused portion of the tower tube that becomes distorted (out of round) in shape. Odin with Earmark has an instructional draft with illustrations on that.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:24 PM
MC Fanatic

he is a pic of the mounting position I was looking at Name:  new speaker placement.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  20.8 KBName:  13 tower speakers.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  19.3 KB
I was working on a intermediate piece that could fit between the tube and the speaker, but as I said before, too hard so I abondoned the project.Name:  speaker mounting wedge.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  7.3 KB
Do you have any pictures of spekers mounted in this manner?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
craig,
I don't have any pictures personally. The procedure that I was referencing uses modified 2.875" collars and would work in the locations you pointed out.
Btw, while it looks better on some boats and towers than others, a left and right over-under tower speaker configuration absolutely sounds the best versus a four speaker horizontal array and generates a bit more output.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I can understand wanting to keep the clean lines of 4 stock cans.
You need to decide if vanity out weighs the desire to bump the party.

With a party line, you need to get the sound to the sides which is the last thing a fixed can, directional HLCD wants to do.
IMO, most important would be a swivel design that lets you rotate or at least fire perpendicular to the boat. This pretty much eliminates matching MC cans option I think unless you just mount them on the side bar. I have seen it done but does look like you are trying pretty hard.

Aesthetics aside, for optimal sound I also would top mount a second pair on a swivel. (This would also yield better dispersion wakeboarding since sound could be angled into the flats where boarders spend most of their time riding) Double cans under does not appear to allow room for swivel mounting the outboard pair.
Over bar cans might also be a consideration for storage height? It would be for me as I barely fit a 12' door but I sit higher than most.

IF you only want one pair below, REV 10's would be a good choice with their swivel and greater midbass.

For your subs, consider propping the hatch open 2"? An old swim kickboard from the pool could be an option, solid enough to withstand weight and wide surface area yet pliable to protect vinyl and not absorb water. Might monitor for stress on hinges if many people try to stand on the deck or wet dripping people allow water into the compartment or worse into the sub enclosure.

Honestly, as far as party platform and ultimate music, the old pontoon is hands down best option.
Find a 24-28' with larger, aluminum logs, upholstery and carpet bad for $2000 or less. Dump the furniture, rail removal/replacement is easy to lay down new carpet ($500 for GREAT durable carpet). PA was $1k and will out perform even competition winning wakeboard systems, Quality inverter generator to not hurt electronics $1k.
Proper cleats, dock lines and fenders! I pack two 10" Big B and four 8" Big B and not had any rafting damage issues to other boats. They see those big fenders an know you mean business, not white trash orange life jackets and fish stringer for dock line.
Plus a huge but cheap Danforth anchor that eliminates line movement.

It seems a little uncool at first arriving in the SUV/minivan but the convenience grows. I often take the pontoon instead of the MC.
Easy launch and load (with good trailer).
Fast cleanup (no wipe down )
Less worry when people get sloppy
More fuel efficient (but a little slower depending on motor)
Plenty of room to spread out and haul gear.
Easy to drop off or trade guests that want to sun or hang out instead of bang around while people water sport.
You, just like me, appear to have enough other tow boats and "accepted" into the group that its easy to bum a ride on days when you don't launch MC.
All just fun, sun, beer and $$.

Last edited by bsloop; 01-31-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks to everyone for all the great replies on this thread.
I dont know if i am quite ready for the PA systemed patio boat just yet , maybe I will let the younger guys take the lead on it.

In the cove picture above I can get quite good sound reinforcement from some solid rock walls and cliffs, its a pretty small space so it easier to fill with sound.

I may travel to the US this summer and check out some of your insane on the water parties.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2
"I may travel to the US this summer and check out some of your insane on the water parties."

Craig...read between the lines if you will...but some of the best and most memorable parties unsuspectingly happen when there's NO other boats in sight and the only other person on board happens to be of the female species
Old 02-01-2014, 01:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I think you are both right.
There are two kinds of Parties. Large social gatherings and small good times.
Both can be memorable or even "Epic" but it usually involves Instigators, Enablers and "bad decisions" in some form.

The Big events are great for a mixed group. Lets say the boat owner is MCOCD and does not allow open drinks, walking on vinyl, etc. The Big event allows "fun" people, usually the bad decision makers, to find other people or boats to have a good time.
It takes both participants and observers to make it a Big event so I am not to down on the MCOCD guy, thanks for coming, watching and brining a fun crew.

The smaller "bad decisions" events are usually the most memorable and personal since YOU were closer to the action. The key is bad decisions like staying too late Sunday afternoon you are going to pay Monday, Friday/Saturday night cruises WAY past bed time(seeing the sun come up) or pushing bad weather for example.

I am not usually the Instigator. I let others come up with the idea. I am primarily the Enabler. Party platform, bumping music, crack a bottle of fruity liquor and tell an out going girl "you are the shot girl, this bottle is gone by the time this song is over" as LMFAO, Shots plays.
Other times it's packing a huge anchor that holds a boat line as 70+ mph straight line winds blow through and a tornado touches down 5 miles away. Getting one last ride while being chased in by a thunderstorm.
Or the trifecta, rains came in late Saturday afternoon at LOTO. My crew didn't want to leave so we rafted onto another small line with cruisers. It just so happened they were a VERY "friendly" group of couples and my crew was cool with a fair ratio........

Craig, it looks like you guys have a fun group. Enjoy and "Enable" a little more.
Nothing wrong with a road trip to spice things up, but don't get your hopes up too high. A good part is timing, luck and bad decisions

Have I mentioned I am ready for SUMMER! ?