Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 01-24-2014, 03:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: ProStar 205, 1994, LT1
Thanks for the photos Wingnut. One more item for "the list".

Regarding the hydraulic springs for the engine cover, does everyone keep those on? My originals went bad and my replacements were too strong and pulled the cover out of place so I retuned them and have just left the old ones off. Was my problem the "throw"?

There are times I miss them...like when my toes nearly get crushed.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar205er View Post
Thanks for the photos Wingnut. One more item for "the list".

Regarding the hydraulic springs for the engine cover, does everyone keep those on? My originals went bad and my replacements were too strong and pulled the cover out of place so I retuned them and have just left the old ones off. Was my problem the "throw"?

There are times I miss them...like when my toes nearly get crushed.
It's usually not the "throw" but how many pounds they are rated for. I'm thinkinking your application is a 40 pounder on each side.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 prostar 205 lt1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Black Creek- It would be helpful- I have the floor brackets- Just not sure how they are spose to attach to the box, where they attach and how big a hydraulic spring and what the throw is. Any pics would help. Thx, Wingnut
Looks like warm weather this weekend so I will take the boat out and take a few pics of the motor box while I am at it.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:12 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouyhead View Post
It's usually not the "throw" but how many pounds they are rated for. I'm thinkinking your application is a 40 pounder on each side.
You are correct. (The rare time that bigger isn't better.) So is throw the amount of distance they travel?
Old 01-30-2014, 10:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 M/C 205, 5.7 TBI
Pix of the inside of the box would be greatly appreciated- I have procured mounting parts but still not sure where they go on the box itself. It is spose to be nice Sat and Sun here too.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Mike, Throw (at least for me) is what the distance is when they are fully extended. As I understand the springs are fully extended when the box is up and open and they are compressed when box lowered- therefore providing both resistance when putting it down ( not allowing smashing of toes unless you are very slow) and assisting in not having to do a 70 lb Bicep curl when opening it up.

Buoyhead- Hope you survive the superbowl and weather!!!! Hang tough. Wing
Old 01-30-2014, 11:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Update for me on the project: 1/30- Going to redo the full alignment this weekend, Still running low RPMS- 3500 at full throttle (prop?), Unclogging speedos, recalibrating tach, relocated closed circuit cooling overflow tank, redid my old connelly front boot still looking for an reasonable upgun (Radar Senate, Annex etc.)) , ready to get my old butt at it, and last but not least : I am having sooo much fun with the residual crap in the fuel tank after cleaning. Ethanol is still stripping some residue out of nooks and crannies of the gas tank. Whew- 3rd set of filters so far. I love corn!!! May have to find non corn stuff. its all good!!! Wingnut
Old 02-03-2014, 03:34 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Pix of the inside of the box would be greatly appreciated- I have procured mounting parts but still not sure where they go on the box itself. It is spose to be nice Sat and Sun here too.
Took a couple of shots inside the box over the weekend. Hopefully they come through ok and get you what you need.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2014, 03:35 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar205er View Post
Took a couple of shots inside the box over the weekend. Hopefully they come through ok and get you what you need.
(Darn iphone...never knows which way is up!)
Old 02-03-2014, 04:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 prostar 205 lt1
Both of my shocks are springlift brand SL 34 60. They are all over ebay or the the interwebs, and probably at the local napa.

The center of the bottom bracket is 11 1/2 inches from the front edge of the rear motor mount and 1 1/2 inches in from the edge of the stringer.

The motor box brackets are 12 inches from the rear lip of the motor box (take the measurement from the rear straight edge not the curve).

I can't remember if I made the brackets on the motor box but I just bolted it straight through with the nut for the lift stud on the bottom. I should of gone stainless on the nut because it is rusting a bit after 6 years. A touch of paint will fix it but you can't really see it when in the boat.

Keep in mind these measurements may need to very slightly from yours depending on where you bolt down the rear motor box hinge. My motor box front edge almost touches the ski pylon.

Last edited by blackcreek; 02-03-2014 at 05:07 PM.