Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 01-29-2014, 02:11 PM
sxerob's Avatar
sxerob sxerob is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 1984 Mastercraft Powershot S&S
Location: SouthWest
Posts: 47
Anything in particular that you use or is WD40 doing the trick for you?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-29-2014, 04:55 PM
cruiser cruiser is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 424
I actually use white lithium grease in a spray can, but wd-40 or any spray lube would work.
__________________
1981 stars and stripes -powerslot
sand with red metalflake stripe
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-30-2014, 03:17 AM
tph's Avatar
tph tph is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Posts: 1,144
Observer seat back

I know this is an old thread but if you still want to install a prop for the seat back you can use a 20 lb. gas strut from Overton's. Easy install.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 02-18-2014, 02:50 PM
sperroids sperroids is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Boat: 1986 Prostar 190
Location: UT
Posts: 6
Tilt steering

TPH, I gotta know how you did the teleflex tilt steering in this picture. I have ordered the same unit for our 86 and upon installation I have found that the new helm gear box cannot be installed because of one of the dashboard supports on the under side. It looks like it would fit if the cable was run the the right and then circled back around and down the transom. Or, it could simply be trimmed and the cable run the usual way. How did you go about it? also, how did you make the larger hole for that teleflex system? I really need your help and any pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 02-18-2014, 08:30 PM
tph's Avatar
tph tph is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperroids View Post
TPH, I gotta know how you did the teleflex tilt steering in this picture. I have ordered the same unit for our 86 and upon installation I have found that the new helm gear box cannot be installed because of one of the dashboard supports on the under side. It looks like it would fit if the cable was run the the right and then circled back around and down the transom. Or, it could simply be trimmed and the cable run the usual way. How did you go about it? also, how did you make the larger hole for that teleflex system? I really need your help and any pictures would be greatly appreciated.
This was installed many years ago, but I don't recall having issues with the dash supports. Perhaps I drilled through. The larger hole was a little more challenging. Once I determined where I wanted the hole, I clamped a piece of plywood to the front of the dash, marked the center of the hole and drilled through the ply and the dash with a hole saw. It worked great! The boat is stored 150 mi. away and I won't see it again for a couple of weeks. If you can wait, I can take a closer look and report back.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:37 PM
strad's Avatar
strad strad is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
Water is the lubricant that stops the noise of the shaft turning in the cutlass bearing. When i run the boat out of the water i spray lubricant on the shaft in the strut, without lube you can wear a cutlass bearing out pretty quick.

Is dirty neutral pretty common? My power slot does not do it. I run it in neutral on the trailer quite often.
__________________
1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
White with blue stripes. purchased 9/2012
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 02-26-2014, 02:27 AM
sperroids sperroids is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Boat: 1986 Prostar 190
Location: UT
Posts: 6
Helm

I can certainly wait a couple of weeks. I would love to see how you set it up. I can manage the dash whole but I need to see how you fit the gear box and the cable. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 03-11-2014, 12:32 AM
tph's Avatar
tph tph is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperroids View Post
I can certainly wait a couple of weeks. I would love to see how you set it up. I can manage the dash whole but I need to see how you fit the gear box and the cable. Thanks so much.
Here's a picture. The helm is rotary. There is no problem with the dash braces. Do you have a rack and pinion setup?
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 03-16-2014, 02:01 AM
sperroids sperroids is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Boat: 1986 Prostar 190
Location: UT
Posts: 6
crazy

That is amazing. I can't figure out how mine is different. I think my dash support may be closer. I can't fit it in there without it hitting. Yours is a teleflex? I have the rotary but it may be a bigger diameter. I will try to snap a picture and see if I can figure the difference.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 03-16-2014, 03:45 AM
tph's Avatar
tph tph is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperroids View Post
That is amazing. I can't figure out how mine is different. I think my dash support may be closer. I can't fit it in there without it hitting. Yours is a teleflex? I have the rotary but it may be a bigger diameter. I will try to snap a picture and see if I can figure the difference.
Yes, it's a Teleflex. The Steermaster system that was in there before was even bigger. Please post a picture. maybe that would help.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 PM.