Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 01-29-2014, 02:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1984 Mastercraft Powershot S&S
Anything in particular that you use or is WD40 doing the trick for you?
Old 01-29-2014, 04:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
I actually use white lithium grease in a spray can, but wd-40 or any spray lube would work.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Observer seat back

I know this is an old thread but if you still want to install a prop for the seat back you can use a 20 lb. gas strut from Overton's. Easy install.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2014, 02:50 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1986 Prostar 190
Tilt steering

TPH, I gotta know how you did the teleflex tilt steering in this picture. I have ordered the same unit for our 86 and upon installation I have found that the new helm gear box cannot be installed because of one of the dashboard supports on the under side. It looks like it would fit if the cable was run the the right and then circled back around and down the transom. Or, it could simply be trimmed and the cable run the usual way. How did you go about it? also, how did you make the larger hole for that teleflex system? I really need your help and any pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:30 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperroids View Post
TPH, I gotta know how you did the teleflex tilt steering in this picture. I have ordered the same unit for our 86 and upon installation I have found that the new helm gear box cannot be installed because of one of the dashboard supports on the under side. It looks like it would fit if the cable was run the the right and then circled back around and down the transom. Or, it could simply be trimmed and the cable run the usual way. How did you go about it? also, how did you make the larger hole for that teleflex system? I really need your help and any pictures would be greatly appreciated.
This was installed many years ago, but I don't recall having issues with the dash supports. Perhaps I drilled through. The larger hole was a little more challenging. Once I determined where I wanted the hole, I clamped a piece of plywood to the front of the dash, marked the center of the hole and drilled through the ply and the dash with a hole saw. It worked great! The boat is stored 150 mi. away and I won't see it again for a couple of weeks. If you can wait, I can take a closer look and report back.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
Water is the lubricant that stops the noise of the shaft turning in the cutlass bearing. When i run the boat out of the water i spray lubricant on the shaft in the strut, without lube you can wear a cutlass bearing out pretty quick.

Is dirty neutral pretty common? My power slot does not do it. I run it in neutral on the trailer quite often.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:27 AM
TT Newbie

Helm

I can certainly wait a couple of weeks. I would love to see how you set it up. I can manage the dash whole but I need to see how you fit the gear box and the cable. Thanks so much.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:32 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
I can certainly wait a couple of weeks. I would love to see how you set it up. I can manage the dash whole but I need to see how you fit the gear box and the cable. Thanks so much.
Here's a picture. The helm is rotary. There is no problem with the dash braces. Do you have a rack and pinion setup?
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2014, 02:01 AM
TT Newbie

crazy

That is amazing. I can't figure out how mine is different. I think my dash support may be closer. I can't fit it in there without it hitting. Yours is a teleflex? I have the rotary but it may be a bigger diameter. I will try to snap a picture and see if I can figure the difference.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:45 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
That is amazing. I can't figure out how mine is different. I think my dash support may be closer. I can't fit it in there without it hitting. Yours is a teleflex? I have the rotary but it may be a bigger diameter. I will try to snap a picture and see if I can figure the difference.
Yes, it's a Teleflex. The Steermaster system that was in there before was even bigger. Please post a picture. maybe that would help.