Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Strips
Trailer Wiring and Ideas

As I am compiling a list of things needed to redo the wiring on the trailer and fixing side markers, I contemplated doing some minor upgrades to the main connector. With the new to me Dodge truck, the four flat is located next to the license plate - an extra 12-18" where my last truck's pig tail was located. I had originally thought of just extending the whip on the trailer side and wrapping in a protective sheathing, but think this may look like an after thought.

After looking at different products, I am now leaning towards using a 4 ft flex coil that has the 4 flat on one end and whip on the other end so i can take off from there with the trailer wiring. A couple dilemmas with this...no good way to make a solid mounting point on the trailer and it may not look the way I am after...

Maybe a mounting bracket under the tongue right before the wiring enters the trailer/conduit and i can place the male plug there and utilize a male to female flex coil to make the connection from truck to trailer

The flex would always need to stay with the trailer, if we were to ever sell. But I think that would be OK as it is a minimal cost.

I like the idea of using a flex coil as when I back the boat into the garage, the angle gets pretty tight and i always worry about over extending the wires.

anyone out there have any ideas or new products i haven't stumbled across yet?

here are some pictures of parts noted above:

bracket
Name:  4 flat bracket.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  23.0 KB

flex coil
Name:  flex coil.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  24.9 KB
Old 01-29-2014, 12:03 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
You can do it a couple ways. I always like installing a plug on the side of the trailer for a cleaner look. It also lets you take the coil off to avoid damage or theft.

You can also use a pigtail like you explained. I just did this on my buddy's boat for him. Just use a cushioned wire clamp on the bottom of the trailer with a bolt through the frame to support the cable.

Jetconnex makes everything you need, no matter what way you go. www.jetconnex.com
Old 01-29-2014, 12:29 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
You can do it a couple ways. I always like installing a plug on the side of the trailer for a cleaner look. It also lets you take the coil off to avoid damage or theft.

You can also use a pigtail like you explained. I just did this on my buddy's boat for him. Just use a cushioned wire clamp on the bottom of the trailer with a bolt through the frame to support the cable.

Jetconnex makes everything you need, no matter what way you go. www.jetconnex.com

wow that looks clean...
Old 01-29-2014, 08:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Strips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post

The plug on the trailer is what I would love to do, but this year trailer only requires a four flat. I don't have a spot on my trailer that I can put a recessed plug as it's an open c channel. The one spot I could do a recessed mount is too far back on the trailer and I would end up needing a flex that is too long

Thanks for that website, I hadn't seen that one yet and they have good prices