Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 11-09-2013, 04:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-9 2002
PVC check valve replacement on an x-9 -what's best?

The ballast system in our X-9 was not sucking water, so with a bit of investigation we found the check valves to be the problem, they are allowing air to draw back into the system. My question is do I just replace the valves with what is there, or is there another type of valve that is better suited, or the third option is to modify the system to pump back out through the pickup point and get rid of the valves altogether?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:16 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
http://www.wakemakers.com/marine-check-valve.html
Old 01-16-2014, 01:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
If they overboard water through above waterline through hulls I would just replace checkvalve using wakemakers. The fill and drain using the same through hull required timers and made it difficult to not run the pumps dry while emptying. The check valve design is a better design IMO.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
I would reconfigure so the drain flow goes back out the thru-hull intake. Ive tried about every check valve out there, including the same ones wakemakers sells, with less then ideal results. Over time, the flapper check-valves end up with a case of "muscle memory" and stay open. This will allow for the air to be drawn through them in the same manor you are experiencing with your current one.

The sac should still retain the vent line w/check-valve, so you have an audible and visual indicator that the sac is full. For draining, you can hear a change in the pumps sound when the last of the water is drawn from the sac. After a couple of cycles, you get a feel for how long they take to drain, so no need for timers.