Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-27-2013, 05:23 PM
TN Skier TN Skier is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Location: Southeast - Nashville, TN area
Posts: 136
New Gauge vs. '92 Prostar Dash

Here is the question...I have a Humminbird HDR 650 that I want to add to the boat and I don't know the best place to locate the gauge? It requires a 2 1/8th hole and then the larger face plate that snaps on over it once the install is complete. You will notice that the instrument panel has very little room. The only option that I am seeing is above the ignition key; and when I hold the face plate in that area...NO room for error...I would like to have a clean installation when it's all said and done.

The instrument panel is already molded for the existing gauges; this new one will look a little out of place already; trying to make the best of it.

The other option that I am thinking of is a little less pleasant to think about...Drilling and mounting it into the boat where I currently have the chronometer mounted? UPDATE - The cup holder wont allow enough room for the business side of the gauge.

Another Option: Does anyone know if there is a "blank" that could be mounted where the "Mastercraft" storage is to the left of the steering column?

Ideas are welcomed - Pictures of existing (similar) installs appreciated.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by TN Skier; 12-27-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Option 2 was a failure
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Most I have seen have swapped out the clock for the depth gauge. However I don't see a clock on your dash pod. That could be a problem.. Your hour meter is where my clock was (a 93 model). They moved the hour meter to an integrated tach/hour combo.

I have also contemplated finding an aftermarket gauge pod to mount (somewhere?) and install the depth gauge (or the clock) in the pod. Basically a gimmick for something to look at. The clock itself is too small for much other than a glance while sitting in the driver's seat.

$.02
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 PM
TN Skier TN Skier is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Location: Southeast - Nashville, TN area
Posts: 136
Cloaked - Thanks for the $.02. What about the updated idea of installing an aluminum (preferably) blank where the storage area is; left of the steering column? Have you seen any type of after market blank for this area?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Skier View Post
Cloaked - Thanks for the $.02. What about the updated idea of installing an aluminum (preferably) blank where the storage area is; left of the steering column? Have you seen any type of after market blank for this area?
Look on Summit Racing's web site. They have a lot of stuff at which to look.

I feel certain that you could muster up something for the blank plate.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...es-accessories ==> on the left of the page under 'Part type' click on show all.

.
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-27-2013, 06:41 PM
j.mccreight@hotmail.com's Avatar
j.mccreight@hotmail.com j.mccreight@hotmail.com is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,308
When I installed my depth sounder I installed it where the hour meter is and relocated the hour meter to the engine compartment on the engine.
__________________
James

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-27-2013, 06:51 PM
neil.anderson63's Avatar
neil.anderson63 neil.anderson63 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Boat: 2007 X2
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
When I installed my depth sounder I installed it where the hour meter is and relocated the hour meter to the engine compartment on the engine.
Same as I would do.
__________________
Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 AM
cal69 cal69 is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Boat: 1992 PS 205, 351 HO 1:1
Location: Southwest
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
Same as I would do.
I did the same on my '92. Bought a cheap bracket and mounted the hour meter up under the dash where I can lean under and take a look when I want.

I bought the same depth finder last year. Has worked out great and looks good in the dash.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2014, 02:30 PM
bturner2's Avatar
bturner2 bturner2 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 2,334
Same here. Hour meter went to the engine compartment.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-23-2014, 08:31 AM
TN Skier TN Skier is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Location: Southeast - Nashville, TN area
Posts: 136
Update

Once the thaw broke in the garage I was able to spend a little time to get this project knocked off of the list...

I thought this thread might need an update since I had a couple of pictures (pictures - seem to be few and far between currently ).

I will throw a BIG shout out to GWEAVER - he came through on helping with the panel to fit where the "glove box" was. Thanks again G!

While I had the floor out I figured I might as well hit a few grease points too; since I was already there.

Next projects to come before season is:

New Trailer - Phoenix (Order this week) - I have been working though Mat at MasterCraft Chicago (MCBOC1) the "Old Stock - Sale" thread guy - He is killer easy to work with and spot on with the pricing!!

Swim Platform - Clean and Reoil

Wash and Wax - Whole Boat
Attached Images
      
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Skier View Post
Once the thaw broke in the garage I was able to spend a little time to get this project knocked off of the list...

I thought this thread might need an update since I had a couple of pictures (pictures - seem to be few and far between currently ).

I will throw a BIG shout out to GWEAVER - he came through on helping with the panel to fit where the "glove box" was. Thanks again G!

While I had the floor out I figured I might as well hit a few grease points too; since I was already there.

Next projects to come before season is:

New Trailer - Phoenix (Order this week) - I have been working though Mat at MasterCraft Chicago (MCBOC1) the "Old Stock - Sale" thread guy - He is killer easy to work with and spot on with the pricing!!

Swim Platform - Clean and Reoil

Wash and Wax - Whole Boat
Good deal. If I had that blank spot, I'd have 10-15 more gauges and gadgets....

I had to find other spaces for a USB port, bass controller, heated seat switch, and a remote control for the head unit. I still need another place for the Clarion wired remote and the clock.

.
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 AM.