Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 01-03-2014, 01:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 S&S PowerSlot
1983 Damper Plate Replacement

Okay, so I have the proverbial “chatter” at low idle and I have decided to install a new damper plate this winter, within the next few weeks. I will post pictures and document the process as I proceed. Any suggestions ahead of time will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Subscribing, I hear mine occasionally only when docking if I have to find Reverse to slow her down. Want to rebuild the motor soon anyway so I am hoping I can wait a while longer and do it when shes out.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83MC View Post
Okay, so I have the proverbial “chatter” at low idle and I have decided to install a new damper plate this winter, within the next few weeks. I will post pictures and document the process as I proceed. Any suggestions ahead of time will be greatly appreciated.
Are you able to have the tranny rebuilt while you have it out? How many hours? Kyle has some great pics of propping of the motor while working on it.

Change the rear main seal while you are there as well.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03geetee View Post
Subscribing, I hear mine occasionally only when docking if I have to find Reverse to slow her down. Want to rebuild the motor soon anyway so I am hoping I can wait a while longer and do it when shes out.

JTR
How many hours on your motor o3? what's it doing that you want to rebuild?
Old 01-10-2014, 08:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Are you able to have the tranny rebuilt while you have it out? How many hours? Kyle has some great pics of propping of the motor while working on it.

Change the rear main seal while you are there as well.
I would not touch the transmission if its not acting up. Pulling it out and putting it back in take an hour or so each way... no need to spend $800+ for a rebuild just because its out.

I also would not consider touching the rear main seal just because the tranny is off, if the seal has shown no signs of leaking. That is a much, much bigger job than a simple damper replacement. Its also a real pain to do with the engine in the boat.

As far as damper tips go, here are a few:
1. Get a quality damper. If you have a Velvet Drive, use the Sachs damper that ebasic sells. High quality and low cost- win/win.

2. Leave transmission mounts on the transmission... its usually easier to remove the mounts from the boat than to remove the mounts from the tranny.

3. Loosen all pinch bolts and jack the back of the engine up before removing the trans from the engine. Support the engine with a bottle jack and some blocks of wood under the exhaust manifolds if you can.

4. On/off is pretty straightforward. Having a second set of hands to wiggle the output coupler on the trans to line up the splines on the input shaft and damper is helpful.

5. If the bolts used to attach the damper do not self-center it, then leave the bolts loose until the tranny is attached. On off center damper is a big no-no. Tighten the bolts through the starter hole or cut a small hole in the bell housing to tighten them (the hole can be plugged with a grommet later).

6. Do not forget to perform a full powertrain alignment afterwards. If you do not have a good grasp of how an alignment is performed, ask! Understanding the concept makes this job very easy- though it can be a little time consuming chasing it around. Understanding exactly what youre trying to accomplish will help you visualize what needs to happen and will prevent you from dialing in a gross amount of misalignment... Ive seen this many times.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:56 PM
MC Devotee

Very good info dude!

Mike,

No bad signs yet and I am approaching 2800hrs but for looks and piece of mind and because I like everything with a motor redone I want to do it.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 01-10-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Very good info dude!

Mike,

No bad signs yet and I am approaching 2800hrs but for looks and piece of mind and because I like everything with a motor redone I want to do it.

JTR
I am with you... That's why I offered up the additional maintenance while everything was off above. With motors and transmission you have to pay the piper one day. I am just up for doing it one time...
Old 01-10-2014, 07:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Very good info dude!

Mike,

JTR
That is a lot of hours. Proper maintenance goes a long way.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boom! She has had timing gear set,water pump,fuel pump,carb,top risers but all in all original as sin and still gets my 220lb *** out of the water.

I love her.

JTR

sent from uranus
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 01-11-2014, 12:59 AM

The ruby lady is on my bucket list to ski behind like Jeff's , jaws, and a number of others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk