Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Stock set up uses the same fitting for both rear pumps. That's how I would do it.

I am thinking about the crossover pump configuration that wake makers offers. Pumps from tank to tank so you don't have to drain/fill when changing sides for surfing.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: x15 2008
Footin I'm a nobody in this team talk world but , I will put my two cents in on this one. Three years ago I spent all kinds of time looking to add more ballast to my X15, I talked to Mastercraft,(Bill somebody) he tells me get ahold of Mary Kate at Wake Worx or www.supersacr.com her husband is some engineer at Mastercraft and he has put together a very nice package, you can pick whatever size bags you wish, they use the same Jebsco pumps (so no extra parts) wires right in, switches are super, all fused complete and did not have to chase any extra part, as a matter of fact lots of extra screws, clamps, holders.
Now I did have to add a little wire length as I put the switches right on the dash, and put the pumps in the engine compartment.
This girl was perfect to deal with NO stress at all. And NO stress rules…….need to be boating
Old 01-04-2014, 10:17 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footin View Post
I am going to use 3/4 and fill and drain below the waterline. The 3/4 bends easier and will be a neater install. I don't mind if the fill rate takes a little longer.

As far as drilling, I don't mind drilling the hole, just looking at the room and saving a few bucks if possible.
I see no benefit with going with 3/4 inch hose, 1 inch will bend just as easy. The fact is the Jabsco pumps have a 1 inch inlet so running 1 inch hose reduces the amount of fittings need to plump from the through hull provided you use 1 inch hardware for your through hulls.

You are going to need to run vent lines off the top of the sacks for sure. The added 4th pump in my system that is dedicated for filling the surf sack fills and drains out the bottom. The only added issue with draining out the bottom is you need to watch and make sure you don't run the pump dry. That said, I would rather all my pumps drain out the bottom but the factory stuff doesn't.

I don't know how much the 1 inch increases the flow rate over 3/4 but I can tell you this. While you might think the fill time wont matter, and it wont at first, after a full season of filling and draining you will want to reduce that time as much as you can. I don't know if the time will double but it will be close and I can tell you waiting 20 or 30 minutes to fill or drain is just a pain!!!

Call Jason at wakemakers.com and talk to him about options. Those guys are 1st rate.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
.875 sq. inches cross sectional area with 1" vs. .441 with 3/4. 1" is a no brainer as almost twice the area. I used 1" and it wasn't that hard to install. Price difference is virtually nil.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:17 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
If I go with the 1", I will make one 1" thru hull feed both back pumps. I think I could still feed them to the point that one could be emptying and one filling at the same time or fill both at the same time.

Then use the other thru hull for the bow sac.

I will probably changer my mind 10 times before I place my order with Wakemakers.

I still cannot decide on the size of the rear sacs, I think it will be 750's even though I will not be able to completely fill them out. The 750 should surf better than the 455 and I do have close to enough room.

If I cant decide what to do, I do have 2 600 lb round sac and a manual pump I could run for this summer and see how it does????
Old 01-05-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footin View Post
If I go with the 1", I will make one 1" thru hull feed both back pumps. I think I could still feed them to the point that one could be emptying and one filling at the same time or fill both at the same time.

Then use the other thru hull for the bow sac.

I will probably changer my mind 10 times before I place my order with Wakemakers.

I still cannot decide on the size of the rear sacs, I think it will be 750's even though I will not be able to completely fill them out. The 750 should surf better than the 455 and I do have close to enough room.

If I cant decide what to do, I do have 2 600 lb round sac and a manual pump I could run for this summer and see how it does????

You probably wont be able to empty and fill at the same time from a Teed through hull. It seems very counter productive.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:06 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
You probably wont be able to empty and fill at the same time from a Teed through hull. It seems very counter productive.
To clarify, empty the port tank while filling the starboard tank to surf the other side.

I guess it work as a transfer pump.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Actually that seems to work very well on my boat when switching sides for surfing. The one pump pushes, the other pulls.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Actually that seems to work very well on my boat when switching sides for surfing. The one pump pushes, the other pulls.

What I've seen done is adding a pump that has a line going between the two rear sacs. So it doesn't pull from the lake but will pump from one sack to the other. That combined with the fill pump cuts the time in half when going from side to side.

Last edited by CantRepeat; 01-06-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:40 PM
MC Maniac

Ok, I am going with one of the 1" hull fittings to feed the rears sacs, should I use a "Y" after the ball valve or a "T" against the transom before the pumps? It probably doesn't really matter, but I though the Y would be more efficient to drain and fill.
I will use 1" hose now that I know it can be connected directly to the pumps with no fittings, just clamps.

I am probably over thinking this.