Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-27-2013, 08:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Does the boat currently have the 275 HP throttle body injected motor? If it does you might want to think about doing a repower with a long block and keeping the current injection & ignition. Having a 100 more HP would be nice but that 275 motor will get the job done. I'm on the other end of L.I. And have repowered a few MC's. Let me know if you need a hand with anything.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
I don't care how great an 82 SeaRay is, you aren't likely to find an offer like that on their forums. I do like the closed cooling idea for a salt water boat, but how much would that add to the cost? I'm guessing it might be a great long term investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouyhead View Post
Does the boat currently have the 275 HP throttle body injected motor? If it does you might want to think about doing a repower with a long block and keeping the current injection & ignition. Having a 100 more HP would be nice but that 275 motor will get the job done. I'm on the other end of L.I. And have repowered a few MC's. Let me know if you need a hand with anything.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
I don't care how great an 82 SeaRay is, you aren't likely to find an offer like that on their forums. I do like the closed cooling idea for a salt water boat, but how much would that add to the cost? I'm guessing it might be a great long term investment.
I put the Orca closed cooling system on my 275 TBI a few years ago. About $1700 clams for a high quality heat exchanger and some hoses and fittings. A little pricey but worth the investment if you plan on keeping your motor alive for a long time in the salt.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:47 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Maristar 225LSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
Good looking boat. Good luck. A mechanic you can trust is invaluable. I do most of my own stuff, but when you need them it's nice to know they're gonna do the job right. BTW, Welcome to the MasterCraft family. Just got a tower mirror for my buddy for Christmas, how do you like yours? The field of vision seems huge on it, and the fact that it's high enough not to have passengers I the way seems very nice.
I like the tower mirror, I'm not a fan of how it secures to the tower though, in heavy chop it moves around a bit. But all it needs is a little nudge back into position every now and then.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:39 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Maristar 225LSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouyhead View Post
After long discussions with friends and family, I am not going forward with the re-power. I was wondering if you, or anyone you know would be looking for a project. Otherwise I'll be listing on only-inboards or craigslist etc. Let me know if you're interested.

Tags
merc vs indmar, re-power