Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 12-23-2013, 03:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 205
Carpet installation: DIY or pay?

I've got a 1997 PS 205 which I would like to get the carpet replaced. I got a quote for $1100 (seems steep especially since I could remove the carpet and glue residue myself) which caused me to rethink getting it professional done. Is this something that is easy enough to DIY for someone without experience laying carpet or is it a pain in the a** and just to let the pros do it? I've read others restoration threads and it appears straightforward but the run from the bow to stern looks like it could be quite a task along with other nooks/crannies.

Also, if you were to DIY would you keep it just to visible floor or run up the gunwales and under the seats?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Old 12-23-2013, 05:09 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Number of threads here show running carpet up the gunwales and inventive ways of lifting inside of deck to slide carpet under... not too much pressure on the lift... but has been done many times here.

Nooks and crannies - just take some time...
Old 12-23-2013, 05:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
And need a warm place to work. Cold carpet would be a bear to try to work with - even in Texas! Latex carpet glue is pretty forgiving, it gives you mutlple oportunities to get everything lined up like you want it. Much better than contact cement - save that for the little bits on the edges and corners where you need extra stick.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
I had some friends help me with mine, turned out great luckily they had both layed carpet before
Old 12-23-2013, 06:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
I've carpeted many boats myself . Was always happy with the results its a pretty straight forward project . My opinion is do it all . Make sure you do a good job removing old glue as it will print thru the carpet . I use an air da to sand it down just make sure you wear a respirator . The hardest part I have found is keeping your hand and clothing clean during install so you don't transfer glue onto new carpet . Keep mineral spirits and a lot of clean rags handy just in case you do . Try an keep the old carpet as intact as possible so you can use it as a rough pattern . Do not cut to your pattern exactly leave things a little over sized and trim as you go . Make sure you have a good carpet knife and lots or replacement blades and buy good quality marine carpet not indoor outdoor carpet
Old 12-23-2013, 09:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the guidance, I'm going to see if I have any friends that have laid carpet before and bribe them with some beer and pulls.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:02 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by _fng_ View Post
Thanks for the guidance, I'm going to see if I have any friends that have laid carpet before and bribe them with some beer and pulls.

Damn - I would work on it
Old 12-26-2013, 10:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Damn - I would work on it
C'mon down to Texas, the beer is cold and the river is probably not any colder than you're used to in IL.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:04 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
I did the carpet on my old TriStar. I was able to remove the old carpet pretty much intact in sections and used that as a template for cutting the new pieces. As has been mentioned, doing it in a warm place is important -- hot sun even better! -- so that the carpet can conform to the contours. Measure twice, cut once.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

I got the carpet replaced professionally (or so I thought) and was quiet displeased. As you can see from the pictures they only replaced the base carpet which I agreed to because they said it would be an exact match (which it isn't). Also the butting of the two pieces together is crap and already a little fraying. My fiancee says I'm over critical and it looks good but I think for $800 (I took the old carpet out) that I would get damn good results but that may be MCOCD setting in over time.

Anyone have suggestions to cover the edges between the floor and gunnels where the two different carpet pieces meet?
Attached Images