Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 12-22-2013, 12:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Jim, you kind of have me more worried about a stainless bolt breaking off than a little bit of rust. As you said though, the steel bolt with anti seize should do the trick provided they are maintained properly. I may even paint the heads black for a little extra insurance.

Mike, I thought the same thing with removing one at a time so I won't break the seal and that is how I have proceeded so far.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Jim, you kind of have me more worried about a stainless bolt breaking off than a little bit of rust. As you said though, the steel bolt with anti seize should do the trick provided they are maintained properly. I may even paint the heads black for a little extra insurance.

Mike, I thought the same thing with removing one at a time so I won't break the seal and that is how I have proceeded so far.
I have been spraying my manifold bolts for awhile with penetrant.. for snicks I went to try a bit ago to see how hard it would be to get 1 bolt and voila - it popped immediately - now to buy a torque wrench...

for as much as I use one... harbor freight will do..

my bolt - if they all look this good I will just clean them up and call it a day...

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2013, 01:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
Worked as a machine repairman for 30 years in the machine tool industry. Bolts that were to remain tight were steel socket head cap screws made from hardened steel with anti-seeze so if they needed to come out they would. Screws that were taken out daily, weekly or as the job required were usually made of stainless. Blow them off with an air hose and reinstall.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:32 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
I have been spraying my manifold bolts for awhile with penetrant.. for snicks I went to try a bit ago to see how hard it would be to get 1 bolt and voila - it popped immediately - now to buy a torque wrench...

for as much as I use one... harbor freight will do..

my bolt - if they all look this good I will just clean them up and call it a day...

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A
Nothing wrong with that one. Now off to the hardware store to get some more bolts and anti seize. Already have my torque wrench though.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Not in my world. Nuclear power plants do not use cheap or poor quality anything. It was a non-pressure retaining sleeve that had four lugs welded inside of it as a pipe guide. It was there by design.

The MT was done by mistake and was irrelevant. A non-conformance report was generated and the corrective action / root cause results were what I was mentioning.

I guess i need to fire my magnet for not doing its job
Old 12-22-2013, 02:56 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Also important to use a torque wrench when installing wheels.................especially new wheels.

Oh Yeah....
Old 12-22-2013, 03:33 PM
MC Devotee

And Home Depot did not have the 1.25" regular steel or stainless bolt. I got a 1.5" stainless instead, hoping that it will work. I guess I will find out soon enough. They also did not carry anti seize. Auto parts store has it but it isn't cheap.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Quote:
And Home Depot did not have the 1.25" regular steel or stainless bolt. I got a 1.5" stainless instead, hoping that it will work. I guess I will find out soon enough. They also did not carry anti seize. Auto parts store has it but it isn't cheap.
Believe me!! If you ever have to take that apart again and it comes apart easy because you used anti-seize.......Wow! that was cheap.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Dont buy the large tub as it will last for years, even for us that use it on a regular basis. Look for the little packets used for tune ups. They are typically on a rack by the register along with silicone paste for brake jobs. A little goes a long way, so a pack or 2 will last.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:27 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Dont buy the large tub as it will last for years, even for us that use it on a regular basis. Look for the little packets used for tune ups. They are typically on a rack by the register along with silicone paste for brake jobs. A little goes a long way, so a pack or 2 will last.
Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for! I am waiting to finish that until I pick up a pack or two. Thanks for the suggestion.