Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-28-2014, 03:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '90 PS 190 /. '02 XStar
Talking '02 XStar - She said do it! Wetsounds Rev10's?

Hey all! Been trolling for the last few weeks on all the beta everyone has posted. Getting to the point where it makes sense, and at the same time my head is swimming. Figured ya'll could help a brother out.

Our family has a '02 Xstar/205V. Sound is meh? I mean it plays, but just isn't getting where its nice to listen to. At line length is terrible, and lately when they crank it, the low battery alarm comes on. Sub is fine when BS'n, but distorts like a mofo when turned up (obviously). In-Boats are fine, although up front in the bow is pretty 'tinny'...

My audiophile times where in high school. I think it was all about Cerwin Vegas and a Punch45 back then. LOL

Currently we have:
Boat: Polk DB's w/ separates. Just the 4 in factory locations
Sub: JL 10".. W0? No Box, just screwed in the same factory drivers hole
Tower: 4 factory Clarions. 1 is blown.
Amps: Just the 2 factory Clarion units
Zone Control: Cheap RC1's. 1 ea. for the Tower, In-Boat and Sub. (You can stop laughing now)

End use? Wife and I love to board (even at 41yo) Kids like surfing (ages 8/10). And our young family friends mostly like to board. (Wife calls it eye candy having 25-35 yo's hanging out with us)

So.... Ya'll know what its like with family, work, bills etc... Wife, kids, family and lots of friends love going out on the boat, and we wanted some more sound, especially at line length, without going all extravaganza on it. We were hoping around $1500-$2000.

I was looking at/thinking about/asking advice on doing this:

Boat: Gonna want to keep the same Polks in there this season.
Sub: Its sad... Open to maximizing it tho for this season. What would you do?
Tower: 2 Rev10's (??) Think yay or nay?
Amps: Was looking at the Alpine PDX V9 (Friend has a little hook-up on one) for the Boat.. Good or no beuno?
Not sure on what to power the Tower....

I added some pics if they help at all..

So 80% boarding, 20% surfing, a lot of time floating with 25-40 yo's..

PLEASE feel free to throw some advice this way.. I am open to all ideas and past experiences.
Attached Images

Last edited by mobilecascade; 06-06-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
If all you are looking for is sound while boarding on the board then get new tower speakers, as with anything it is all personal preference, JL, wetsounds, etc... make sure you power them correctly. Do a search there are plenty of opinions... which are just like a...oles everyone has one...

I believe for what you are looking to spend there is even a sponsor you may want to contact for help.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
That alpine amp looks good for the inboats and the sub. It may be a little more than those polk 6.5s are rated for, so I would just turn the gain down. I would build a box for sub behind the kickpanel. That should make it sound a lot better. If you get rev10s, make sure you get them plenty of power. 400w each is what is recommended. I have a syn4 running mine, but if I had to do it again, I would just get a cheaper amp like the polk 4000.4 or ppi 900.4. If you want to hear music while boarding, the rev10s are the way to go. The JLs sound good in the boat, but there is no comparison 80ft out.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
I built a sealed 10" box and posted in a thread the details if you are interested. Night and day better than the previous free air set up I had.

Ross
Old 05-28-2014, 06:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30 2014
Excile Audio is another way to go. XM-9 x4 with a Harpoon amp to power them is around $2400. They remove at the end of the day and they even give you neoprene bags to carry them in. Also the pivot function works great for after the sports. I would send two facing the bow and two for the stern. Great sound close and out to 80 ft.

WakeWise
Old 05-28-2014, 06:30 PM
TT Regular

JRW: Good to hear you think that Alpine is good for inboards and sub. Def will do the gain low

Ross: Thank you for the 10" box post. In your experience can I build a 10" box for the current set up, and still use it for an upgraded sub later? Or are the Cu Ft. different for each make of 10" sub.

WW: Ill look into the XM-9's. That's another thing im kinda worried about... once or twice a summer we'll rent a slip at Banks, Chelan or Roosevelt and I know I'd have to have quite a few extra beverages before bed, to 'try' to stop thinking if someone is making a grab on them at night.

---

Any other thoughts on powering up the Rev 10? Am I gaining much from the 8's?
Old 05-28-2014, 07:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeWise View Post
Excile Audio is another way to go. XM-9 x4 with a Harpoon amp to power them is around $2400. They remove at the end of the day and they even give you neoprene bags to carry them in. Also the pivot function works great for after the sports. I would send two facing the bow and two for the stern. Great sound close and out to 80 ft.

WakeWise
I would stay with Wetsounds and here is why.
The Exile XM9 is an 8", not a 9". Just the model number denotes '9'. The Wetsounds Rev8 sounds better with better construction, larger VC, better power handling, better midbass driver cone material, and a better horn flare. You can get the same quick disconnect and swivel functions as options with the Wetsounds Rev8 and better connectors (a high current 360 degree contact versus a minimal contact 1/4" phone jack).
The Exile Harpoon Class AB amplifier doesn't come close to spec and is lucky to produce 700 total watts @ a 2-ohm load. While that is sufficient power you can get that same power from the Class H Wetsounds Syn2 with a considerable improvement in efficiency.
In a package deal, try Odin with Earmark Marine, you might be in the same ball park price wise, but with superior Wetsounds gear.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Xm9s are 2400 bucks with an amp? That makes it extremely easy to choose wetsounds.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Just do it right the first time . Rev10's would sound great on that boat. For what you are looking for which is 80% boarding and wanting tunes you are going to need to spend the $$ to get good sound back there. Rev8's at minimal Rev 10's optimal. Since you are worried about theft get the swivel quick release clamps and ease your mind. Exile is also a good choice, but it is hard to beat the Revolution series for SQ. Those coming of some older HLCD speakers can tell instantly the difference.

As mentioned the Rev 10's love power. For that matter I also have a Syn 4 powering my Rev 8's. I would also agree with JRW. You don't necessarily need to drop the coin on super high end amps. That Polk or the "fan favorite" for saving some cash and getting your performance that PPI 900.4 are great alternatives.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 05-28-2014, 06:55 PM
TT Regular

Swat... I remember you saying that before in one of your posts... "Do it right the first time."

I think you even said you would've saved money in the end...

I'll look into that PPI and Polk.. Thanks a bunch!