Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-14-2014, 02:20 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190
Gel coat restorer

Has anyone uses the 3m 1 step gel coat restorer with wax? It seems most have several steps but if it works, it could be worth the time saved.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190, Indmar 351, 250HP
Yes I have used it. It was definitely an improvement. Like anything, do a test spot and see how it works for you. As far as wax protection, it didn't last very long, but it did do a decent job on the oxidation of the gel coat.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
In the article -http://www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/restoring-gel-coat I found the comment:

Quote:
Never use one-step cleaner waxes for the same reasons mentioned above, though to a much lesser degree. One step cleaner waxes use solvents to “clean” the surface and oils to provide a false gloss to the surface. When the wax in the product wears off, (which it will soon), the result will be similar to the scenario with Penetrol.
to be interesting. I have been using Meguiar's One Step Cleaner & Wax which might explain why I tend to have to wax several times a year.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:49 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks guys. Sounds like it might save time in the short run but not in the long term. I had thought about turning it into a two step process and using a paste wax after step 1 but I think I'll look for another product. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks again. Hatch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2014, 04:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Have any pics of what you are trying to bring back to life?
Old 05-14-2014, 05:02 PM
TT Newbie

I don't have any current pictures. The boat is on the lift at the lake with the stern facing south. So that takes the brunt of the sun exposure. most of the boat is in good shape but the decals need to be replaced. I have them on hand just need to remove the old ones , deal with the stern, clean and wax. With the amount of hot GA sun hitting the rear of the boat there is a good bit of oxidation so I need to wax that section more often.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch7 View Post
I don't have any current pictures. The boat is on the lift at the lake with the stern facing south. So that takes the brunt of the sun exposure. most of the boat is in good shape but the decals need to be replaced. I have them on hand just need to remove the old ones , deal with the stern, clean and wax. With the amount of hot GA sun hitting the rear of the boat there is a good bit of oxidation so I need to wax that section more often.

Does it looks worse than mine:

Before:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...8&postcount=15

After:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...0&postcount=69

Rotary polisher with rubbing compound and wool pad should clean it up well. Use the 3m stripe off tool on electric drill and decals will be off in 1 hr.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:04 PM
TT Newbie

WOW! That is amazing! I plan to use the 3m products - did you find a good wax? How did it come out after the automotive wax. Great pics btw. Where do you keep your boat?

Old 05-15-2014, 09:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch7 View Post
WOW! That is amazing! I plan to use the 3m products - did you find a good wax? How did it come out after the automotive wax. Great pics btw. Where do you keep your boat?

Decals and wax go on this weekend after a bit more buffing. I will be using Collinite 885 paste wax. Get it on ebay for $18 a can.

Like others mentioned, don't use a 1 step product. The 3m products does not contain silicone, waxes, etc. to give you a nice look that eventually will fade.

Do a search, oxidation has been covered many times.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
1 step products never payoff or work like they claim. Do it the right way and take pride in it.

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.

Tags
cleaning, gel coat, restoring, wax