Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 12-16-2013, 11:47 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X55
2013 X55 Sound System

Just picked up a 2013 X55 and am trying to learn more about the sound system setup...

Everything is JL (4 tower speakers, small sub (I think its an 8"), then I think 6 components inside the boat). Head unit is the clarion without the bluetooth. There are 2 JL 600x4 Amps (I think) pushing everything.

It gets loud and is very clear, however I've got a couple of things I'd like to figure out and am hoping someone can help.

First, what sort of sub is this? In my old boat (2001 Malibu 25LSV) i added a sound system to it, and I think i either had a 10" or 12" that was LOUD and would really shake when it hit. This sound system although clear and loud...has very little bass. In fact, it doesnt even seem like the sub hits very hard.

I've looked on the head unit and there's no adjustment for the sub...only bass, which I dont want to turn up that much because all that does is crank up the bass on the speakers...which is not good because they'll eventually blow out if I've got that cranked to the max.

Has anyone looked into this and determined if there are some adjustments that need to be made, or is this sound system just underwhelming off the factory line? I would expect nothing but the best and top notch with a boat at this price level...
Old 12-16-2013, 02:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
Hey there, congrats on the purchase! I understand 100% where you are coming from, if you read a few posts that I've made you'll understand what I'm doing on my new 2014 X Star that I pick up next month. Essentially the sub is a free air JL 10" unit powered by I believe 200W. Yep, it does not do much...especially when you are used to "REAL" bass.

My advice, cut bait...leave the factory system exactly as is and add a separate ported sub. I suggest the following if you want unbelievable bass that is more than enough: JL 13W7 in a ported box powered by a JL 1200/1 HD amp. Done...you will smile, make sure you get a separate level knob for the sub. I'm going a little crazier and upping the power to all the in boat speakers in mine to 200W to get the full potential from the speakers.

Good luck!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Hey there, congrats on the purchase! I understand 100% where you are coming from, if you read a few posts that I've made you'll understand what I'm doing on my new 2014 X Star that I pick up next month. Essentially the sub is a free air JL 10" unit powered by I believe 200W. Yep, it does not do much...especially when you are used to "REAL" bass.

My advice, cut bait...leave the factory system exactly as is and add a separate ported sub. I suggest the following if you want unbelievable bass that is more than enough: JL 13W7 in a ported box powered by a JL 1200/1 HD amp. Done...you will smile, make sure you get a separate level knob for the sub. I'm going a little crazier and upping the power to all the in boat speakers in mine to 200W to get the full potential from the speakers.

Good luck!
Appreciate the reply. Any idea where you would mount this? I don't want to blow my eardrums (which I know a W7 is MORE than capable of doing) I want to be as minimally invasive as possible if/when i go this route.

Secondly, can the amp(s) be adjusted at all to get a little more performance out of the existing sub? Would replacing the head unit with a separate sub control help?

On the old boat we had, there were 2 tower speakers, 6 components in the boat and the sub...all being pushed by a 1000w JL amp...it sounded great...that's all im trying to reproduce.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
In the head-unit menu, look for the "non-fade" level adjustment. This is likely the output that is going to the sub chnls of the amp.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:43 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
In the head-unit menu, look for the "non-fade" level adjustment. This is likely the output that is going to the sub chnls of the amp.
yep, saw that in there...i'll have to get back in there and take a look at that. I dont remember there being an adjustment for it, but perhaps i missed something. is there any adjustment on the amp i can make?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013X55 View Post
yep, saw that in there...i'll have to get back in there and take a look at that. I dont remember there being an adjustment for it, but perhaps i missed something. is there any adjustment on the amp i can make?
The amp's gain setting will impact the subs output, but only up to the point of being set to optimal. Its not a volume knob and should not be used as such. So if it is set on the conservative side, going up a little will increase the sub output. The bass-boss-boost setting and cross-over point will also impact the subs performance. Also, the settings for the in-boats. Dialing those back, will bring up the sub a little.

If that sub is getting 200W rms, then thats respectable power for it. It would take a lot more power to make a real difference, probably more then the sub will like. So you need to investigate a new sub/amp combo.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
I believe you have a JL MIB10W5 (10" marine grade, infinite baffle, W5 sub). If you can put a sealed box in behind it in the original position and give it 250W to 375w it will produce for you. This way you dont have to give up much storage space for a large ported sub box. I am running two of these subs in this configuration (375wrms each) I have ran both the M10IBW5 and M10W5 (non infinite baffle) and find very little difference between them.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
So I lived with the 10" free air sub for a couple years in my boat before upgrading. It does sound very nice for a factory system...but it is kind of like once you get a car with heated seats...you can never go back to living without it. Yes a 13W7 will be obnoxiously too much bass for the majority out there, and it is a little pricey. You could add 1 more 10" free air right next to the one in you boat if there is room...but to me that would sort of be like kissing your sister.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:59 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig3972 View Post
I believe you have a JL MIB10W5 (10" marine grade, infinite baffle, W5 sub). If you can put a sealed box in behind it in the original position and give it 250W to 375w it will produce for you. This way you dont have to give up much storage space for a large ported sub box. I am running two of these subs in this configuration (375wrms each) I have ran both the M10IBW5 and M10W5 (non infinite baffle) and find very little difference between them.
Yea im not sure how easy that would be to put it in a sealed box because it is currently under the passenger seat and facing towards the driver seat...so there's a cutout where it is right now. Could you build a box that would sort of butt right up against it and seal around it? Other issue is i believe there is a storage drawer right there as well...which is why there's probably no box around it.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
I also run 2 13W6's with 1200wrms to each, they are not direct radiating cause I didnt want to cut my boat up. The two little M10W5 in sealed boxes with 375wrms each out perform the 13's. The 13's just shake the boat and dont produce as much sound in my install.