Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2013, 09:47 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 X-5
Prostar 195 -vs- Prostar 197

Hey we've been shopping for a boat and are close to a decision. We have two different 195 hulls (a Prostar and an X-5) that we're comparing that are pretty equivalent, and a 197 that's a few years newer but also more money. How's the skiing wake compare between the two hulls?

I'm a new skier, my wife is pretty experienced, skiing is the major concern. We would be using it at a multiuse boat, so any info on surfing/wakeboarding is also relevant. Is perfect pass necessary for skiing the course? I'm a new driver, and I'd like to make sure my wife gets clean runs.

Any info is appreciated. We've read up a bunch on the 195 and know it is (arguably) the best hull ever designed... Can the 197 hold a candle to it?
Old 11-19-2013, 10:08 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantjoe View Post
Hey we've been shopping for a boat and are close to a decision. We have two different 195 hulls (a Prostar and an X-5) that we're comparing that are pretty equivalent, and a 197 that's a few years newer but also more money. How's the skiing wake compare between the two hulls?

I'm a new skier, my wife is pretty experienced, skiing is the major concern. We would be using it at a multiuse boat, so any info on surfing/wakeboarding is also relevant. Is perfect pass necessary for skiing the course? I'm a new driver, and I'd like to make sure my wife gets clean runs.

Any info is appreciated. We've read up a bunch on the 195 and know it is (arguably) the best hull ever designed... Can the 197 hold a candle to it?
Definitely a difference between them. What speed does your wife ski? Can you link some ads? A lot of the decision (if it were me buying) would be based on the price and condition of each boat. Both are great slalom machines. What year 197? Perfect Pass is an absolute must, IMO.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 03 197TT 6.0 Cadillac YQ-9
My experience (and I'm assuming the 195 is mid 90s vs newer 197) is that the 197 will have more torque due to its size but that the 195 will have a slightly smaller wake. I just moved up to a 197 and I like its extra comfort, size, and ability to pull stronger and more consistenly, but I sometimes miss my old (albeit slightly) smaller wake.

If you are interested in wakeboarding or surfing, forget about the 195. Just can't load enough weight in them.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:10 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The 195 was a more posh version of the Sporstar OB. It was produced in 2000 and 2001. It is the same hull as the venerable 1995--1997 Pro Star 190. It will have a little more bow weight due to the seating, but the wake will be comparable. Depending on the engine transmission combination, it might have a bit more get up than a 197 due to less wetted surface.

In the end, either boat should ski well and condition and features should probably be more indicative of which boat to buy.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:30 PM
TT Regular

2000 X-5, 2001 Prostar, 2004 Prostar with the Caddy engine. Wife skis around 31 I ski around 34-36. I'm big, but not so awesome in the turns yet.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantjoe View Post
........would be using it at a multiuse boat, so any info on surfing/wakeboarding is also relevant. Is perfect pass necessary for skiing the course? I'm a new driver, and I'd like to make sure my wife gets clean runs.

A hard sell to find a slalom wake for course skiing and expect a surf or board wake. But I'm old school and slalom (which I call skiing) and could not use a cross-over substitute.

I'd consider either boat for course skiing (keeping the wife happy) and call is a done deal. The 195 is a bit shorter, thus a slightly different weight distribution, but to the common skier, not much difference. With either one, you'll not see a significant difference. Don't expect surfing and wakeboarding from either hull for what they are intended.

If one has PerfectPass and the other doesn't, that would be a strong factor for me to consider. PerfectPass is a marriage saver....you'll score big with the Mrs with a PP.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 11-19-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
based on my limited experience skiing behind an x5 I would pass on that boat.the wake is too hard imo
ive skied several 190's and 197's and no complaints into 28 off all will have a 22 bump never skied a 195
Old 11-20-2013, 03:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X5 2001. 310hp preditor
Quote:
Originally Posted by atihanyi View Post
based on my limited experience skiing behind an x5 I would pass on that boat.the wake is too hard imo
ive skied several 190's and 197's and no complaints into 28 off all will have a 22 bump never skied a 195
REALLY??? The X5 is the same hull as the 195 prostar and I believe almost identical to the 190. I have an X5 and don't find the wake hard, in fact I can hardly find the wake at 35. I think it is a great wake to ski. At 20 with full sacks and a few bodies on the back seats the wake is sufficient for most intermediate wakeboarders. There is no surf wake from an X5, and why would there be it's not designed to do it.

For the average skier you would have to go a long way to beat any of the slalom wakes on the above boats. If you wanted to break world records well then that's another discussion.

Mark
Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Keep in mind the options that you might want and what they cost NEW if you need to purchase them. As others have said Perfect Pass Is a must for slalom, even if its recreational, $1280 brand new. Bimini? About $450-$700 and a good quality boat cover which most boats come with, about $600-$800 those three are a must IMHO. Other nice options are a heater and stereo. Just some things to think about when comparing boats.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:21 PM
TT Regular

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=526338848
http://kelowna.en.craigslist.ca/boa/4110307929.html
http://kamloops.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=486450301

Only one with PP is the 197. All have Bimini and covers. The 197 is immaculate. The upholstery is poor on the red one, but good gel, the green has moderate damage everywhere.

Surfing and wakeboarding is a minor concern only. We want a ski boat.