Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 11-03-2013, 12:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Forgot to fog

I winterized my 30 yesterday by myself for the first time. Unfortunately I forgot to fog the engine. I've already ran antifreeze into the system and I'm wondering if I am screwed.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I think fogging for a single winter storage is not really necessary. That said, I still do it.
If you decide you need to, just take out all sparkplugs, fog each cylinder, turn the engine over a few times with lanyard removed and reinstall plugs.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:11 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
^ do this. If you have an MCX engine or any dry intake engine, this is the proper way to fog anyway.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
^ do this. If you have an MCX engine or any dry intake engine, this is the proper way to fog anyway.
Jerseydave - The Indmar manual for my MCX 350 engine says to remove the air filter and spray 4-6 ounces of fogging oil through the inake opening. This is how I did it when I winterized a couple of weeks ago, seemed to work just fine. Just wondering if I am missing something? I went back through the manual and didn't see anything about fogging through the spark plug holes.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:07 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
Jerseydave - The Indmar manual for my MCX 350 engine says to remove the air filter and spray 4-6 ounces of fogging oil through the inake opening. This is how I did it when I winterized a couple of weeks ago, seemed to work just fine. Just wondering if I am missing something? I went back through the manual and didn't see anything about fogging through the spark plug holes.
My dealer told me to fog through the intake for winterizing. Most of you know him from his years here.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:47 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Given all the ambiguous reasons and moreover the lack of solid reasons as to why and what method to use while fogging I'd have to go with the manufacture of the motor.

Dry vs wet intakes
Cats vs no cats

No clearly defined reason as to either methods or equipment puts most of this up in the air as to why we do it they way we do it.

I have my own theories to support why I do it the way I do it but I generalize those theories based on what Indmar says is the "right" way to do it.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:31 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
I was told this a long time ago by my buddy who has been a Nautique dealer for over 25 years. Something about an oily residue can build up over the years if you continue to fog a dry intake. I would also think getting fogging oil on any sensors like the MAP sensor would not be a good thing either.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 tristar 190
I fog my boat every year fill tank put stabil in it etc

but just thought I would mention I have an old small block chev powered FJ40. That sits 10 months of the year for the past 6 years and I have never fogged it or put stabil in the fuel and it starts just fine every year
Doh!

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).
Old 11-03-2013, 03:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Just pull the plugs and fog. There is no need/reason to turn the engine over (especially using the starter), as the rings will wipe the cylinder walls clean.

Then replace plugs and you are set.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
I thought the MCX is a dry intake engine meaning the proper way to fog it is via pulling the plugs and spraying in each cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free